Chapter 34

Arthit's POV

Yesterday was the last day of end semester examination for the Engineering Faculty. Which means today there was peace and quiet in the faculty. The final year students finished their examination two days prior to the others and Kongpob had already left for home. There were many details to finalize with his family regarding his future plans. Plans that I have not much idea about. And since I've already told him that Harvard is an opportunity he might regret letting go of, I haven't asked much about his decision. 

During this period many students have come to consult with me regarding post graduate studies. There were few promising students that would be joining the Postgraduate Degree program immediately, while many had chosen to join companies, both local and foreign. Except for Kongpob there was only one student who'd be going abroad to complete her postgraduate studies, Shreema. She was also the expected valedictorian and has obtained a full scholarship to Tongji University.  

I was making my way to my office down the familiar corridor when I came to a stop near one particular class room. The classroom door was open and clearly it was unoccupied. However I stood before the empty classroom for a good minute before a sudden realization hit me.

This was where I first saw Kongpob, when he was conducting one of those SOTUS events. That's weird, why am I suddenly thinking about that?

I shook my head to dispel the sudden odd feeling that was making me uncomfortable and went to my own office. 

The students may have finished their examinations but us teachers' work has just begun. Especially since it was the semester end, there were many details to be finalized. Examination results had to be finalized, summer programs and curriculums needed to be coordinated, student references had to be arranged etc. And in two weeks time, the final year undergraduates and the postgraduate students who'd completed their programs will have their convocation. Hence there was much work to be done.

Given the heavy workload that I had to clear up and the calm and quiet environment without the usual distractions and Kongpob, you would have expected for my efficiency to be at 101%. But for some odd reason I couldn't concentrate and on more than one occasion I found my self staring at the door expecting an energetic youth to come in with a sweet nomyen drink. 

That's it! Nomyen!

It's almost 10.30 am and I haven't had my first glass of nomyen for the day yet. No wonder I kept looking at the door for nomyen. Walking to the refrigerator I opened the door and took out a bottle of nomyen. After that one time when Kongpob had stocked the refrigerator with a week's worth of nomyen supply, I've seen the advantage of it and continued to do so on my own. As a result there was never a shortage of my elixir.

Sitting back at my desk, I continued with my work while sipping the nomyen. As expected my efficiency improved and I was able to get my work done. Of course, sugar was the answer. 

I was having a rather late lunch when I was interrupted by the sound of an incoming message from my phone.

'Good Morning my P'Arthit.' It read. 

It was almost 2.30 pm and Kongpob said good morning? What is wrong with the kids these days? I was just about to scold this irresponsible student of mine when another message came.

'Oh sorry P', it must be afternoon in Thailand. Have you had your lunch yet?' Oh... that explains it. Kongpob must be abroad.

'You're not in Thailand?' I messaged him back. Maybe he went on a vacation. I heard that's what the rich kids do.

'Yes P'. Sorry I didn't get a chance to tell you yesterday. But I came to US. I decided to go ahead with the MBA in Harvard. I have to handle few matters regarding registration and accommodation. I'll be back for the convocation next week though. So don't miss me too much OK?' Out of all my students only Kongpob would message me like this. I've been too lenient with this kid.