Chapter 11

Arthit's POV

I looked towards the horizon. I could see few lonely boats almost at the place where the sky touched the sea. Few lonely seagulls were circling the beach searching for pray or a tourist to feed them. It was around four in the afternoon and the beach was almost empty, save for a few groups of people. Most the visitors having sought shelter in either the numerous bars littering the city or their hotel rooms to have an evening siesta like my parents and brother. Well actually my brother and his wife P'Krithi were out their somewhere having a "date" while their three adorable trouble makers slept making the entire world a very peaceful one. 

It was so tranquil and a definite change from the usual scenario. I had not realized how much I wanted this until we got here. As soon as I'd gotten my first glimpse of the sea, I had felt like someone had removed a weight from my shoulder. A weight I didn't even know I was carrying. So I turned off my phone and gave all my attention to having a relaxing time with my parents, P'Awut and his family.

We arrived at the beach resort just in time for lunch. The fresh seafood ignited my appetite and after a sumptuous meal my niece, two nephews, P'Awut, P'Krithi, my dad and I played in the beach until the Sun and wind sucked all our energy, leaving us panting and dehydrated. Grandmother of the three, whom I call mother, ordered the kids to be hydrated with some coconut juice and sent to bed for an afternoon siesta. Her biggest baby, my dad, also followed them.

P'Awut, P'Krithi and I were left to our own devices and we sat under one of the numerous umbrellas littering the beach, sipping on our drinks. Finishing the drink I stood up to take a stroll along the beach, the peace and tranquility of the sea calling to me. Before I could escape my overprotective brother asked me to not talk to strangers and not get lost. P'Krithi and I both rolled our eyes. 

'You do realize that I've been away from home in a foreign country and alone, for the past six years right?' I asked. Seriously, just because I am twelve years younger than him he has to be another dad.

'But now you are home.' My brother said, as if that's supposed to explain everything. Shaking my head at my ridiculous brother, I waved at P'Krithi and turned in search of some alone time. 

The beach seemed endless, continuing as far as my eyes can see. And since I wasn't wearing my specs, it wasn't much. Walking closer to the water line I stood still for a few seconds with my eyes closed. I let the sound of the sea drown my thoughts while the gentle waves wet my feet.

Out of no where it suddenly occurred to me that Kongpob and his friends were probably around somewhere near. Oh well. It's as well if I don't run in to the bunch. I get enough of them at the university.

I walked a little further basking in the loud yet tranquil silence of the wailing pond. A little ways away I could see the local market bustling with activity. Involuntarily, my feet carried me over, attracted by the vibrant colors and charming atmosphere unique to the locality.

I walked around for few minutes fascinated by the various products on display. The sheer creative innovation on some of them taking my breath away. I couldn't help but think to incorporate some of the things I saw in this small local market in to my assignments and workshop for the students. Coconut seems to be a popular material of choice. The trunk, the leaves, the roots, the husk and literally any part of the coconut tree was used be these creative geniuses in their various entrepreneur ventures. 

I was checking out a particularly precarious looking structure built with just the midrib of coconut leaves when suddenly someone put their hands around my middle section  in a tight hug. Thinking that this person was probably mistaken I was about to turn around when a very familiar voice stopped me.