Chapter 09

A/N - Warning: Extreme frustration ahead.

Arthit's POV

'What are you doing?' I looked up at P'Paka's question. She'd left the door open and walked over to my table where I was grading assignments.

'Are you grading assignments?' She asked with a raised eyebrow.

'Hmm.. The final year.' I said.

'Arthit, you do realize that you are now a professor right? You should let your PhD students handle the assignments. That is supposed to be their job.' She sounded a little exasperated.

'I know that P'. I only do this for the final years. PhD students handle the rest of the classes.'

'Why single out the final years? Are you trying to make the rest of us look bad?' She asked mockingly. I laughed.

'Not at all P'Paka. I'm just trying to give them the guidance they missed for the past two years.' She nodded in understanding.

'They are lucky they got someone like you for the final year.' She said with a whimsical expression on her face. 

I gasped.

'Who are you? P'Paka would never say some thing sweet like that. Who are you and what have you done with her?' I asked dramatically.

I was smacked in the head with a folder for my troubles.

'Aw P'! I think my IQ reduced.' I said rubbing my head.

'Huh, you can afford it.' Was her cruel response. I just shook my head with a smile.

'Did you have something to discuss P'?' I asked since she sat down before me.

'Yes, about your workshop. I know you asked me to do a session for the kids this week. But I was thinking of inviting one of my senior colleges at the Irrigation and Drainage Ministry. He was even a member of the Three Gorges design team. He's only recently returned to Thailand and now he's the senior design specialist for the ministry.'

'Wow P', that's awesome. Of course we should get him to deliver a lecture. But will 6-8 pm on Friday be enough? Should I arrange for a Saturday morning?' 

'No Arthit. At least not during this week. He's a busy man and it was very hard to get even this time slot. Tell you what, let's take him to dinner after wards so that we can build some connections. I think overall it would be good for our faculty as well.' She said. We discussed few more details regarding the upcoming session and P'Paka got up to leave.

'You know I was opposed to having someone wet behind the ears joining the ranks of professor in our department. But I'm glad P'Sarawan snagged you. We needed young blood to revive our department.' She said.

'Wow P'Paka, you're making my heart flutter.' I said holding my chest for dramatic effect. 

'I'm not available.' was her curt reply before the door closed behind her. I was smiling as I got back to grading the assignments.

I turned graded one paper and got to the other immediately recognizing the handwriting. Kongpob's handwriting is the same as him. Decisive and bold. Truly and exceptional and memorable character I've seen among all my students. I guess that explains why I remember his handwriting well. And clever too, since he scored an A+ in the assignment. 

Just when I was putting down the last of the assignments a light knock sounded and my door opened to reveal a sight that brought an immediate smile to my face.

'Professor Arthit, good afternoon.' Kongpob greeted walking inside and closing the door. All I could concentrate on was the pink drink in his hand. Still sitting behind the desk I extended both my hands forward, my eyes firmly fixed on the prized beverage.