Chapter 9

- Logan -

I stared at my closet and scolded myself quietly.

I literally owned not a single fancy clothing.
Nothing.

I finally found an acceptable knitted dark blue sweater in the back of my closet. It must have belonged to my father.

It was in a box full of clothes that I sorted out at some point, hidden under a pair of white sneakers that I grabbed without thinking.

In the box was also a pair of brown jeans. Can't be that bad.

"Are you coming, Logan?" I suddenly heard a call from outside.
"One minute!" I frantically looked for a way to delay. "Oh come on, you can't take that long!" Edward knocked lightly on the door.

I've never been on a date. On the one hand, I always got bullied, and on the other hand, because of the bullying, I had kind of withdrawn and no longer responded to friend requests.

Finally I left the room. Edward just looked at me for a moment, smiled, and offered me his arm.

I gratefully grabbed him so my hands wouldn't shake so much.
We left the house and I squinted into the bright light of the warm June day.
We took a taxi because Edward had reserved in a simple restaurant in Manhattan and that was a bit away from my home.

The taxi driver didn't pay much attention to me, which made me breathe a sigh of relief.
I stared out the window the whole time we drove, and at one point Edward gave up on starting a conversation and did the same.

After a journey of about five minutes the taxi was parked in front of a small but nicely decorated Chinese restaurant. The walls were covered with dark wood, and between the tables there were fake cherry branches that had blossoms (and were definitely sprayed with perfume).

I slowly walked into the restaurant with Edward and he explained to the waitress that he had made a reservation under the name 'Walker' and the woman led the way to an elevator. Not without giving me a slightly disturbed look.

When I smiled at her, she quickly looked away and quickened her steps. I lowered my eyes.

The old machine creaked as it carried us up to the second floor.
From there, the still slightly nervous waitress took us to a table next to a window..

I marveled.

We had a perfect view of the northeast part of the Central Park.

————
~430 words

I know it's getting kinda mawkish, I don't even know what to say.
But! There will still be some tension, so stay tuned!

Please tell me what you think of the story so that I can get better!

-❣️☯️