Chapter Fourteen

The muffled sound of blood-gurgling cries, drowned out by the rapid pounding of her heart was all she could hear as the palm of her hands pressed against her ears. Her eyes were squeezed shut afraid if she opened them the sight before would invade her mind and create long-lasting nightmares. It felt as if the world around her was closing in as she tried not to panic.

People are dying... Right in front of me and there's nothing I can do to stop it. Her mind didn't want to accept the harsh reality she now lived in... kill or be killed. Or at least that is how it seemed now that people were after her. Did they know she was the key... or did she have some type of bounty on her head being the last human princess who didn't die along with her kingdom. She was scared... but told herself she couldn't stay that way forever.

I have to become stronger so that no one else would get hurt or killed because of me. I have to break the seal to save my world and theirs. But... I don't know how. Zamora could feel the warm tears forming beneath her closed lids, fighting to hold them back, telling herself not to cry.

Finally, everything became quiet but she was still too afraid to uncover her ears and open her eyes. Her body remain frozen in place not wanting to come face to face with the grim sight that laid bare. All those men that came after her, she knew without seeing it they were all dead. A sharp pain filled her chest that made her feel sick to her stomach.

This is all my fault. Why do others have to die because of me? She thought unable to stop her trembling hands. The strength in her legs became weak from the anxiety that drained her, but she held her ground as she stood in place. She wanted to run away to where no one could ever find her but instead, she took a shaky breath trying to collect her frantic nerves.

Zamora desperately tried to build up the courage to move but simply could not. Seconds dragged by as she did her best to pull herself together. The traumatic experiences she has endured in such a short amount of time had a big impact on her mental stability. Behind her closed eyes, all she could see were the faces of those she loved and lost. Not wanting to add to those images in her head she kept her eyes closed feeling crippled by the fear of seeing death in front of her again.

I can't do this... She told herself, failing to steady her breath that came out harsh and deep. At that moment, she felt someone grab her by the wrist, carefully lowering her hands from her ears in a way that wouldn't worsen her panic state. She initially assumed that person to be Kisame but their hands were not as massive as his and their grip wasn't rough to the touch. Her curiosity caused her to slowly peek open her eyes but before she could see anything she abruptly closed them back.

"Don't open your eyes until I say." Her ears perked at the familiar voice causing a spark of surprise and nervousness to fill her chest. Still, she obeyed keeping them closed as he pulled her to walk, allowing him to guide her with his hand holding her small wrist. Her hand dangled against his grasp as she tried to keep up with his swift pace.

It felt like they traveled a far distance but she couldn't be for sure. She could feel herself getting more and more anxious the longer it took for them to reach where ever they were going. After a short while, he finally let go, leaving a warm impression where his hand once was.

"You can open your eyes." He told her in a calm tone. Cautiously she opened them as the bright rays of the sun caused her to squint a little, readjusting her vision from being in the dark.

"W–where... are we?" Her soft voice hesitantly uttered as he watched her look around. Her eyes trailed the tall trees and vast greenery of the deep forest. He noticed her worried countenance assuming what she may be thinking.

"We won't be staying in the forest like before. Actually, we are not too far from the hideout. If we move quickly we can get there before dusk." Itachi informed not taking his eyes off of her.