Chapter One

Tears fell from her innocent azure eyes like rain, her usual gentle and cheerful countenance now distorted with pain and grief as she watched it all burn. Every dream she ever had; any hope she ever felt was all burning to the ground right before her.

"I'll go... please... I'll go with you! Just spare them...please!" Her pleading and heartfelt cries could change the mind of any soul. Unfortunately, the creatures she was dealing with appeared to not have one.

It was too late...

The young girl loudly sobbed uncontrollably falling to her knees in her elegant sleeveless cream-colored nightgown. Her small hands dug into the soft dirt beneath her; anger and sorrow coursing through her body. The broken scream that erupted from her raw throat filled the air with despair. In the far distance, her dreadful moans could be heard but no one would come to her aid.

"Aw, look what you've done! You made the pretty little lady cry." One of the evil-looking reptile creatures said in a mocking tone causing the others watching to bust into laughter. "Allow me to wipe those tears away." Another creature spoke stepping towards her, lifting his large jagged weapon above his head as she shut her eyes tight awaiting her fate.

A pair of callous crimson eyes narrowed, intentively watching the defenseless girl from a distance. His dark hunting gaze seared into her now-broken spirit. There was nothing he could do to undo the horror and pain she just experience. Even if he wanted to he knew that was not his purpose. He had one task, retrieve the target and bring her back to base unharmed. A tired irritated sigh flowed from his mouth before he instructed with a nod to the man standing next to him dressed in a similar attire: a high-collar black cloak with a red cloud pattern and a matching straw kasa to help disguise their faces.

The sudden crackle and boom of thunder muted the heavy weight of footsteps that approached them from behind. In one silent swing all those that attempted to claim the girl's life lost theirs instead, as the strong scent of blood filled the humid air.

A large rough hand gripped the girl's arm, lifting her from the ground. Her body hung like a rag doll as the man tried to pull her to her bare feet. The bright light that use to be so rich in her cyanic eyes was now dull, lifeless, and empty.

Her flawless complexion became pale almost sickly as her frozen expression remained on the gruesome sight ahead. The battle was over but everyone, everything was gone; turned to ash in a matter of minutes.

The brawny man groaned with irritation as he threw her small frame over his shoulder, seeing she wasn't capable to comply when he beckoned her to walk. Instead, the girl absent-mindedly ignored him as she incoherently mumbled to herself in complete shock.

"Mom...Dad..."Her lips trembled as the tears continued to pour staining her reddened cheeks. The long silky coils of her snowy blonde hair fell as she hung her head in defeat. She wanted nothing more than for it all to end. Her last hope was that she would meet the same fate her family and kingdom just did. However, the terrifying creatures that turned her worst nightmares into reality weren't all she would have to endure.

The blazing heat from the flames outside no longer warmed her fair skin as they stepped inside what was left of the palace she once called home. Without warning the man lifted her from his shoulder and tossed her to the ground. Her fragile form slammed into the cold marble floor as a pained wince slipped from her lips. She did not attempt to move as she lay on the hard floor curling into a ball for comfort as she continued to sob quietly.

This appeared to irritate the man as a low growl rumbled from his throat while he lifted his head removing his straw kasa to reveal his face. The girl felt his eyes piercing into her which made her want to shrink further. Instead, she cautiously lifted her head instantly regretting that decision. Her clear blue eyes widen, taking in his distinctive features.