Chapter 5 - Expedition

Adonis' Pov

I was driving past the final defense line while bumping some Kendrick Lamar on the aux in the heavy armoured truck which was rented for the day. I had been researching magic and training since making that item then decided to get some field experience as my spars with Fan taught me that experience can't be disregarded. I had also been making other things and having fun with alchemy as well.

The ride was now getting bumpy due to me now being off-road so I was now in monster territory, once I arrived at a nice open spot I parked and exited the vehicle. I wasn't dressed like normal this time as I had some equipment to help support me which were actually Dad's old stuff from when he was younger and shorter. 

It consisted of a navy jacket that was stopped past my shoulder blades with two coattails that reached my lower back that exposed my torso which was covered by a black vest. I had black baggy pants that went into grey greaves and a red belt. I had my sword sheathed from my behind my hips with the hilt pointing to my left.

'Even still it's a bit large on me, is dad part giant or something?'

I looked to the sleeves that went past my hands and decided to take the jacket off and wrap it around my waist, leaving my thin but muscular arms exposed to the elements. I stretched my arms upwards to the sky before relaxing them at my side before getting a bucket full of bloodied meat and throwing it out onto the field.

"Blood is the best bait when it comes to monsters."

I jumped back and activated Mana Insight to sharpen my five senses along with reinforcement and laid in wait for a monster. Also adding some protective spells over myself for other scenarios.

"Projectile protection, Barrier. That should be good for now."

Hearing movement I looked over and saw a yellow lizard like monster head in this direction, drawn in by the smell of bait I had left. I recognised it as a Jagras that frequented these parts.

"Perfect timing."

I raised a hand out to it with Gungnir floating up to my hand as I prepared a mana blast the size of a football before infusing it with electrical ki. In turn it changed to an electric yellow colour as some streaks would crackle out of the shape but maintained it. I decided to charge two more electrical mana masses along side the first one in a pyramid formation.

"Lightning Blast!"

Upon firing they flew right to the monster and exploded on impact in an electrical burst of lightning and dust from the ground. Once the dust cleared all I saw was burnt and crisp carcass, making me sweatdrop at the effect.

"Woah, least I know Gungnir works now but a crisp corpse ain't worth jack shit."

I scratched the back of my head before I remembered something about the monster.

"Don't they move in packs?"

As if the world wished to answer my question around 6 more of them emerged from the bushes and began hissing in my direction. 

"Rude."

I activated Gungnir and fired about seven different blasts at the pack as they started running towards me. All but two of them hit their targets with the Jagras that avoided the first one jumping at me. I unsheathed my sword and sliced it's claw the moment it was within range then kicked it to the side and raised my weapon above me, gathering mana into it's blade.

"Runestone Arc."

I swiped down and a violet arc of mana was released from the blade and flew towards the Jagras and sliced into it's head. Normally Runestone Arc is a slow spell but I'm using it in tandem with a compatible weapon and reinforcement magic so it has a good enough speed for smaller monsters like a Jagras to have a hard time dodging it.