Chapter 2: Don't Forget Me

image is of ellena. look at her, the cutie :)

picrew used: https://picrew.me/image_maker/207297 

or you can also find it under the external link 

"What if we go watch a movie together?"

"Would your mom even let you?"

"Of course she would! I'll tell her I'm going with you...and with some good convincing!"

You adjusted the strap of your bag on your shoulder, mumbling.

"If you say so, then I'm okay with it."

The two of you waited for a car to pass before hurrying across the crosswalk.

She beamed, hugging you with one arm as you continued to walk. "I knew you would give in. It's been a while since we went out."

You gave a nod, "You're right. Do you want me to pick the movie and the day? Or do you already have that planned out?"

She grinned, her brown eyes gleaming under the sun, "I do! Leave it all to me."

"Alright, Elle. If you say so."

She continued with a pep in her step as you made your way down further past downtown.

"Now, onto more pressing matters..." She poked your cheek, "Are you going to Japan this year or not? You said your dad was going for an emergency, right?"

You looked over your shoulder to give her a resigned expression. "Not this year. As I said, it's an emergency trip. Ojii-san isn't feeling so good. They think his time is coming soon."

"Why do you say it so blunt like that," she frowned, "That's terrible."

You sighed, "How else am I supposed to say it, Ellena? The man's been around for a while... I'm honestly just happy that age is getting him and not some disease..."

She seemed conflicted, "Yeah...I guess...but it's still so horrible to say it like that...it makes you sound detached."

"From him or him dying?"

"Both."

You pondered it for a while before replying.

"It's just easier that way."

Ellena looked at you with furrowed brows. You felt scrutinized under her gaze.

"It's easier..." you mumbled, looking anywhere but at her, "to convince yourself it's okay. You get hurt if you cling on to people like that."

Her eyes softened a little, but you could still see that she was conflicted by your words.

"I hope you cling on to me...my memory, I mean," she said, bumping her hip against yours. She wore a wry smile. "I don't want to be forgotten."

You frowned, "Now that's something terrible to say...why bring up your death like that? You have years ahead of you."

She hummed, shrugging, "You never know these things, you know? Things happen. Life happens... My mom always tells me you're born and then gone... In a way, I agree that we have to be prepared for things like death, but it's also okay to care. There's nothing wrong with caring and feeling upset about someone's death, especially if they're close to you."

You smiled, puffing air out of your nose.

"In that case...I hope you remember me too. I want you to cry just like the women in the telenovelas at my funeral."

She nodded, a goofy grin, "Okay, but don't do that at mine if I go out first! That's embarrassing. I'll haunt you if you do. My mother gets a pass, but not you!"