Chapter 4: The Honored One

Despite the ass whopping you almost got by a serial killer who had stalked you up from some days ago to today, your brain had the bright idea to entertain this lost Comic-Con cosplayer because there wasn't anyone worse that you could meet than a stalking serial killer.

"Alright, guess you can..."

The man hummed in response, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Right. Where do you want me to start?"

You shifted to prop an arm on your knee, "Maybe start by explaining who you are and why you know my name."

Gojo, as he had introduced himself, smiled.

"Well, that's an easy one!"

He pulled out something from his pocket and showed you the screen.

You deadpanned.

"I found it by tracking your social media!" he beamed.

You looked at the screen, analyzing your account with squinted eyes. "My name isn't even on any of my socials. How the hell did you pick that out from this?"

He chuckled, pulling back his phone quickly as if expecting you to take it from him. "Just kidding! I had you there, though, huh?"

You frowned, "No."

He ignored your reply, "I actually got it with some probing from someone you know. He's doing well these days, by the way."

You looked up at him with surprise.

"So...you know Yuta?"

He grinned, "That's right. And he agreed that I should check up on you here."

"He did...?"

While you wouldn't say you had some problems with Yuta these days, the two of you drifted apart after the last visit to Japan. You were rocked by what you saw in that room and wanted little to do with Yuta afterward. You had to deal with anger over Yuta failing to protect her for a long time. You were convinced that Yuta had some part in why Rika was now a creature that looked like it was pulled straight from an eldritch horror novel. Of course, you had no proof of that; you just had to learn to cope with her death and incarnation into her new form in another way. You just had to forget about the past you had and move on, but that was easier said than done.

"Mmm," Gojo hummed, looking off the cliff. "He told me a bit about you. How the three of you were close: you, him, and Rika."

Just hearing her name out loud brought on a swell of sad memories. You couldn't help but sigh and look away as if he was somehow reprimanding you.

"He also told me about how you could see curses. He finally pieced it together," he explained.

You gently chewed the inside of your cheek, pausing to ask, "Can he see them too? I assume so because you're here to tell me this."

Gojo nodded, "He can now much better than before. Rika helped solidify his ability to see spirits. You, on the other hand, could always see them."

It made you a little uncomfortable that he knew all this about you, virtually some stranger.

You furrowed your brows in thought, peering behind you to check up on Ellena on the bench. The single lamp post beside it illuminated her body laid across the bench, your jacket used as a short blanket and an arm used as her pillow. Gojo didn't recommend sending her off alone so you two could talk, which was more than rational. It's not like you'd let her out of sight after what happened some minutes ago.

"Then what does that make me and Yuta?" you mumbled, turning to look back off the cliff. "Gifted with magic or something?"

"A little more tasteful than that," Gojo said, catching your gaze, or at least that's what you thought he did. "Cursed energy users, or curse users. Those who decide to use their gifts for the greater good go on to train and become sorcerers or, as that man you dealt with, called Jujutsu Sorcerers."