Chapter 7: Two Months Later

picrew maker: https://tinyurl.com/2p9a3nm3 

imgbb quality: https://imgbb.com/N7HfjQb 

"[Name], there's a letter for you."

"Thanks."

You scanned the envelope as Panda trotted away happily, humming a tune as he exited the doors. After searching for the little bird, she drew on the paper envelope. You smiled to yourself in victory before carefully tearing the side open.

The lounge room was quiet as everyone else had gone off to do their respective missions or busy themselves on campus, but the low hum of the air conditioner was a good ambiance. You would lie if you said you weren't waiting for a reply from her eagerly. It was starting to feel like a ritual to open one of Ellena's letters at the end of the week. Sometimes you had to hide them from Gojo because he sneaked a peek two letters back, and you didn't want in your private business with Ellena.

You settled yourself to lean back in the couch cushions as you read about her day when she wrote back. She was still annoyed that they made her cut her hair short and couldn't wear her earnings anymore. Her school was extremely strict about that. You had never seen her with hair shorter than her usual mid-length, and at one point, she had her hair reach about near her waist. She wanted to grow it out again because she visited her grandmother and wanted it to be like hers. You told her that once her parents began to miss her, she could move back and grow it again, but she didn't like the idea of leaving Japan without you. She was so clingy sometimes in an endearing way, of course.

Ellena also wrote about the choir group she joined, or more like was coerced to by her roommate. She didn't like the idea of singing, but she was begging to warm up to it. She also joined the ikebana club because she thought it would be fun. You asked if she would be overwhelmed by all her commitments, but she assured me that she found a healthy balance for everything. She seemed to be flourishing in her new school, which you were glad about.

She was doing good for herself.

You were broken out of your thoughts by a chime, and you gave a tiny sigh as you reached into your pocket to fish out your phone.

Without bothering to check the caller's I.D., you answered.

"Hello."

"Why sound so depressed?"

"Because I was having peace and quiet while you were away..." You sighed, pitching the bridge of your nose and then rubbing your sinuses. "What is it you need from me?"

"I just want to wish you luck on your mission. Can't a teacher be concerned about his student going on his third solo mission?"

You folded Ellena's letter, tucked it away in its envelope, and put him on speaker. "Keyword: third. I thought you needed something from me. Are you worried I'll fail or get hurt? You're the one that taught me, so have a little more faith in me."

"It sounds like you're praising me, Poyo-chan."

"Not a compliment. Just a matter of fact."

You tucked Ellena's letter to read later in your interior pocket, sewed inside your haori, and stretched out your limbs.

"Still so cold."

"Whatever you say..." you mumbled, "That all? I'm about to head out for my mission."

"I also called to remind you to update me on your findings. Remember that cursed object is no joke."

You brought the phone up to your ear and switched back to normal audio, "You said that there wasn't even a guarantee that it would be in the first two locations, but you're sending me there any way to check. I could get this done faster if I went straight to the likely location."