Chapter 3: Conquest of Monsters

Around a few days after your night out with Ellena, you noticed that the monsters had...become scarce.

The occasional bug or weird-looking thing was clinging to someone, but the gigantic ones you avoided were gone. There was one that hung around an old nightclub you could see from your home, and it sat on top of its roof, screeching and cackling at what you thought were the intoxicated people who lingered outside there. But one night, you noticed it was...just gone.

Around this time, another discomforting piece of information came up.

"God, that's horrible."

Your mother frowned, having stopped to watch the screen behind your seat on the couch.

"Yeah," you agreed, watching as the reporter motioned at the area where the yellow tape surrounded the street entrance. "Five victims in one night."

Your mother sighed quietly and moved around the couch to sit behind you, forgetting her previous task in favor of seeing the news.

"All girls?" She asked.

"Four. One boy," you mumbled.

And they were all around your age as well.

She looked even more concerned to hear the details given of the gruesome murders. A group of students from a high school decided to go and try to have a spook at an old graveyard around the area. The locals there reported them causing a stir and got chased out by the grave-watcher, leading them to walk around the streets searching for other entertainment. That's when other testimony reported hearing ghastly screaming outside and, well...

"This city can be so fucked sometimes," she said, shaking her head and standing back up. "Forgive my language, Pollito."

As always, still using that nickname.

"I want you and Ellena to stay together no matter what as soon as you leave campus," she said, going to the fridge. "I'll talk with her mother later on the phone. I don't want you about at night, understood?"

You remained quiet, knowing she wasn't entirely done with her ramble. "No more late-night ramen. I'll ask Tou-chan if he can make some if you crave it. The two of you are too young to be out, even more so now."

Never mind that you took plenty of martial arts classes to defend yourself. She probably thought you'd get hurt regardless. She wasn't wrong, though; only so many physical attacks could be made against someone with a weapon.

You crossed your arms, replying with a quiet, "Yes."

Something wasn't sitting right with you.

====

"Did you hear about—"

"The murders? Yeah?" You answered before she could finish asking.

She pouted a bit, puffing her cheeks as you formed a line at the student store. Lunch didn't appeal to your hunger, but chips and cookies did.

"At least let me finish what I want to say before answering," she mumbled beside you.

You scratched the back of your neck and pulled out your small wallet. You alternated between this one and another because the one on your person was slimmer. Also, the design was bland, so no one bullied you for your tastes.

"Sorry," you apologized, moving up a spot, "It's just that you're the fourth person to ask me that."

"Who were the other three?" She asked.

You sighed, folding your fingers as you went, "My dad, my neighbor, and Susana from Class 2-C."

Ellena hummed in reply, leaning against the railing of the queue.