Chapter 5: The Two Gifts

You got your parents to drive you to the airport in the ungodly hours of the night. You could barely sleep a wink because you had slept late the night prior and needed to get to the airport early to check in.

"Yeah, I'm at the airport," you yawned as you tugged out your luggage.

"Good. Remember that the flight is around nineteen hours, so be ready for the long haul."

You rubbed your eyes, accepting your carry-on from your father and setting it on top of your luggage. "Yeah... that's the part I'm dreading the most. Where are you right now?'

"Hawaii."

Part of you told you he would do something like this, and the other was relieved that you wouldn't be spending the flight with him bothering you.

While processing this, you shut the trunk, mumbling, "You're doing the next half of the flight soon, right?"

"Yeah," Gojo answered smoothly. You could almost picture the smug grin on his face throughout the call. "I'm taking another jet!"

You motioned for your parents to begin walking, your father and mother taking your luggage without your asking, and you resigned to focus solely on the call.

"Could have told me that you were taking jets," you wondered how long a jet trip from Hawaii to Tokyo was.

"But don't get too sad about my absence. I have a surprise you might like once you board the plane. No need to thank me for that—by the way."

Giving a staunch grunt, you began to walk towards the automatic doors, "Thanks, I guess, for whatever that is. I got to go now—going to check in."

"See you in Tokyo, Pollo-chan~."

Before you could reprimand him for using your nickname, he already hung up, leaving you to sigh quietly and pocket your phone.

Check-in was a smooth process, and after a melancholy goodbye with your parents, you made your way through security and screening before finally making your way up the terminal's floors.

You got a small, overpriced drink at a coffee shop before sitting down for a short wait, whipping out your phone. Ellena hadn't responded to your last texts, and you almost hit the call button on her contact but refrained. It was late at night, and she was probably asleep.

Sighing, you leaned back and stared at the blank ceiling behind fluorescent lights. The brightness of it hurt your eyes, and you closed them if only to allow them some rest for a moment. The last thing you wanted was to fall asleep before boarding, so it would only be for a minute. In that minute, you took in the sounds around you—the quiet murmur of other waiting passengers, the rolling of luggage wheels, the clicking of heels against the floor, and the slight rustle and shift of clothes.

Someone approached, and you opened your eyes a second after their arrival, their shadow looming over you.

"You'll fall asleep like that, you know? We're about to board soon, sleepy head."

A smile broke out on your face, accompanied by a puff of air through your nose.

Huh, this was the surprise. You should properly thank Gojo for it rather than the sarcastic one from earlier.

"I thought you said that you would wait till the semester was over to transfer," you mumbled.

She gave a tiny, smug smile, closing her eyes as if she was recollecting that. "Hm, did I? I can't remember ever saying that. Must have been your imagination."

You shook your head, sitting upright as she came around the bench you were on and sat next to you.

"Do your parents know you're taking the plane with me?" She gave a pair of low hums, letting you know the answer was no.