FF Extras: Small Lunch Break

edit: don't know why the chapter suddenly disappeared (lmfao), but i reuploaded it. apologies for the inconvenience.

takes place after last chapter, but before the next one.

"Hey…"

You said nothing, munching on the tempura in your mouth and allowing Kugisaki to continue. The second years, meaning Maki, allowed a lunch break in between your training sessions. 

"Does Gojo normally disappear randomly for trips?" 

You glanced over at Fushiguro, who caught your gaze and raised a brow as he chewed on his rice. 

"You're the one with the longest history with him," you pointed out.

He looked away briefly, almost as if he answered with a begrudgingly 'right' with the look on his face. 

"That's about as normal as it gets with him," Fushirguro answered. "The principal and higher-ups ask him to do missions and jobs usually assigned to high-grade sorcerers, but it's been like this for most of the year. There's a shortage of jujutsu sorcerers in the area. Especially after last year…and not to mention summer is the busiest time of year."

"Oh," Kugisaki leaned her back against your arm, making it slightly challenging to use your chopsticks, "I know that one. The…the Night of a Thousand Deaths."

"Night Parade of a Hundred Demons," you corrected.

"Right," she said dismissively, "that one."

Fushiguro looked bemused by her answer but answered with confirmation.

"Oh, you guys talking about last year?"

Seeing as you were having your bento lunch outside, it would be expected that the second years would hear in on your conversation. Although they had gone to retrieve drinks for all of you, 'their treat.'

Panda handed the three of you your requested beverages, which you accepted with thanks. Inumaki offered some snacks as a side for your meal, and soon, they joined you on the steps.

"We got beat pretty bad," Panda said, popping open a carbonated drink. "All three of us."

"Salmon," Inumaki agreed.

Kugisaki seemed interested in the topic now, "By who?" 

Panda and Inumaki exchanged small glances, "By Geto Suguru."

"And that was?" Kugisaki questioned.

"Gojo's…"

Although he had never told you directly about it, there was enough subtlety that you could piece that together. A rogue sorcerer who once attended the same school was in the same grade and class as Gojo.

"...former classmate."

It felt taboo to say it—to make that connection out loud. Not because you had some feverish need to distance yourself from this man you've never met, but because Gojo spoke so bittersweet about him. An intimate memory he held onto despite the horrors his partner had committed.

Attaching that title would have felt out of place when you heard it come from Gojo's mouth.

A short silence followed, considering everyone hadn't anticipated you answering. You added on to get the stares off you and continue the conversation. "He had a cult and released a bunch of curses in Tokyo and Kyoto. Caused a whole mess. On Christmas, too."

Your female companion squinted at you, "Huh? How come you know all that? Also, you always talk as if Christmas is a big thing." 

You furrowed a brow, "Library...and Christmas is a big thing on the other side of the world, where I was born, dumb-dumb."