Chapter 11: Evolved, in the dream

As the ball of flame charged towards me, I wanted to dodge it by running away, but my body would not move as I want. Instead, my right hand raised by itself, as the ball of flame stopped. Why does it feel like I stopped the ball of flame? My right hand, which I could not control, threw the ball of flame back to the boy, wait. Boy?

The ball was thrown to the boy, whom I could not see clearly due to the blinding sun shining. I looked in front, and tried to look around as much as I can. There were many trees, and I could hear the sound of bird chirping and rivers and streams flowing. I can even picture how clear their water is. Almost as if, I am in my past life! Or, is it just a dream?

I have no idea where I am, much less how I got here. The last thing I remember was falling asleep. Oh! The voice which I heard... But how is it connected to everything? Never mind then... "Damn it! Charlotte, you're so strong!" The boy whined after dodging the ball of flame He ran towards me, hugged me, allowing me to notice how short he was. I wasn't really tall either. My arm felt shorter than before, as that arm ruffled the boy's hair.

Something about this arm feels oddly familiar. My eyes drifted to a wound on my arm, as I remember how I got it. It was when I was three and got scratched by a demon. It was a relief that a scratch from a demon did not have poison. Only bites had poison in them... Just like, just like my father and I...

"Charlotte, your hair is in a mess!" The boy pointed out. The hands moved accordingly, as it removed the hair tie, and I felt my hair falling loosely on my shoulders. They felt incredibly soft. The hands then proceeded to tying them back together in a bun, but not before I noticed their colour. "Golden blonde that reflected the sun." That was how everyone described it.

Though the mark of the royal family was their sapphire-like eyes that resembled twinkling stars, not the hair colour. My eyes were extremely bright, and was also described to be as beautiful as the ones the first emperor had wield. Then why? Why does this boy have the same eyes? I felt myself smiling for some reason, as the 'me' there hugged the boy warmly.

Other than having the same eyes, this boy had long, wavy silver hair that looked so soft. The boy was without a doubt, a boy. Yet, he looked as pretty as a girl. Even his childish voice had a tinge of a female's voice mixed in. "I told you, call me big sister!" The 'me' there exclaimed as she carried the boy.

I felt the boy's hair rest on my face and shoulder. Indeed, I was right. His hair was as smooth as I had imagined them to be. But why does this feel normal? As if I experienced it before? Is this an old memory? There's a small possibility of it being illusion magic, but I still remember reading that people can control their actions in an illusion world.

As the boy landed on his feet again, he smiled brightly. "I'll go drink water first!" The boy grinned as he ran to a bench that had two water bottles lying on it. In the past, what defined the successor was their magic. Only their magic. Nothing else was important. The first born of the royal family always had more magic than the second born. There were 5 types of magic, though four of them was more common.

Fire, Water, Wind and Earth. Those were the magic which the emperors would have. In history books, there was a mention that the first emperor of the empire had a different type of magic. Thunder magic. It was never proven to be true, and was going to pass as a rumour. However, that was until I appeared.

I had a very ordinary background for a princess. An emperor for a father, a noble woman for a mother. The only difference was that my weak mother died while giving birth. My father, filled with grief, had slept with another woman. The other woman, was someone I myself have never met before.

If I'm not wrong, then the child that was given birth to was the boy that was currently drinking water. There's enough evidence that he had the blood of the royal family. The fact that he had blue sapphire-like eyes and the fact that he can wield magic. The thing is, my father never knew of this child.