Her shadow

The Bat kids gave a briefing after the cops found the mutilated body. Jason, in particular, was beside himself. If he'd been (mildly) disinterested in the mission before, now he was in the mood for equal pay: life for life.

He sat with his head in his hands and his gaze fell on the pictures beneath him.
The girl was his friend, and a good one at that. Most of the time Todd tried not to condemn himself to unnecessary commitments, just to spend a night together with the girl and part ways. But this girl he never touched, they became something of a friend to each other, and he was glad. Glad he had someone to come to besides members of his "family. There was someone to come to...

Damian even felt sympathy for him as he watched Jason lose control and jerk away from the table.

"I'll fucking kill the bastard."

Batman acquiesced. Mostly because he doubted Jason would be able to even get close to the criminal, but he was proud that Todd was finally in the mood.

The kids in their costumes rushed to the exit of the cave. Tim gave everyone a briefing about the gadgets available and made sure the communication was working. It was time to start the patrol.

Todd raced his bike the fastest, heading east; Nightwing managed a run across the rooftops, heading southeast. Damian mostly used the hook, wanting to be closer to the ground, headed west.

The boys were given seven hours to search, anything at all, and should be back with reports by the end of the night.

"Jay," Dick turned to his brother.

"Mm."

"Please, if you find anything, try to keep your cool."

"Fuck you."

"Oh."

There was no point in saying any more; he wouldn't listen.

Almost two hours of patrol passed quietly.

...

The hound smelled a familiar scent and gave a yapping report.

"What is it, honey? Did you find her?"

The smell is faint but you can smell it.
The girl in the shadows smiled to herself.

"Bring the little one to us."

The shadows of the houses, the benches, the nearby trees began to shift. Running across the surfaces of roofs, walls. Searching.

Robin drew closer.
The smell grew stronger. They have a great sense of smell.

They found it.

Damian landed on the nearest shallow rooftop. There was movement spotted in the alley. Shadows are playing with him. Leading him into their trap.

He descended to the ground and continued his pursuit on foot. A shadow rounded a corner, he ran in. Shadow climbed up the roof, he climbed in. The shadow jumped the retreat, and he followed it.

"Halt!"

The chase continued until he reached the edge where the grove of trees grew. He walked on, spotting footprints. Several. Grabbing the hilt of his katana, he walked deeper.

"Cuckoo."

He turned around.

No one.

He heard it again behind him.

"Cuckoo."

Before he turned around again, he realized he was already being held on the threshold of the world of the dead. The knife blade had gone into his neck.