Chapter Two

In the darkness of his consciousness, he hears it — a voice. The voice is distant at first before it becomes louder and louder until it finally drowns out the ringing in his ears. He sees a slit of light and...

“...sensei! Gojo sensei!” When he opens his eyes, the sudden brightness blinds him, making him squint. Six Eyes close and he's immersed in darkness once again, but it's different this time because Megumi is here.

“...Megumi.” The pair of blue eyes open once more and starts to adjust to the light while Gojo takes note of his surrounding. He's lying on a king-sized bed this time, the room he’s in being different from yesterday’s. 

Megumi seems to let out a relieved breath at Gojo’s response. “Don’t worry, he's not here.” Megumi helps his teacher sit up, letting the older man lean against the headboard before he offers Gojo the cup of water he had filled up earlier. “Here, drink this.”

Gojo takes a sip and spits it out, trying to get rid of the coppery taste in his mouth. His face scrunches up in disgust, sticking his tongue out childishly. Megumi relaxes when he sees Gojo acting like how he normally acts.

The boy takes the glass from Gojo, empties it and fills it with clean water again. “It’s been a year since you were sealed. Almost everyone's dead.” Megumi says while Gojo drinks his water, sitting down on the side of the bed. “How are you feeling?”

“Like shit.” Gojo states blandly. Sukuna healed him more thoroughly this time, but that still doesn't make things any better.

Megumi sighs a bit before placing his hand on Gojo’s shoulder. “You don’t have to worry about me. I’ll be fine, he won't do anything to me.” He looks at Gojo with a determined gaze. “So don't hold yourself back.” He’s asking Gojo to fight, to oppose the curse who’s holding them captive without worrying about the consequences that would undeniably fall upon him because of it.

But Gojo did fight, that's how he ended up here in the first place. “I can see his cursed energy on you.” There’s no way Gojo could bring himself to do anything when the well-being of his precious student is at stake, not when the curse has already laid his vile hands on Megumi for who knows how long.

Megumi presses his lips but doesn't explain. “You’re in worse shape than me.”

“That’s true.” Gojo lets out a mirthless laugh before looking down at his hands, blue eyes lacking the playfulness they normally hold.

“Satoru.” Megumi grabs Gojo’s hands, making the older man look up at him. “Everything will be okay. We can pull through this. Trust me.” Megumi gives Gojo a reassuring squeeze, expression strong and determined as he tells his teacher to not worry. Gojo takes in his student’s expression wordlessly, his own expression staying cast down despite him telling himself to smile. He should smile and reassure his student, not the other way around. 

Gojo thinks being sealed away in Prison Realm for one year has weakened him, be it physically or mentally. Or perhaps that's what he wants to believe. Blame it on something else so that he doesn't look like an utter failure.

“Why not just let Gojo take care of everything by himself from now on? It won't be a problem if it's him.”

“Gojo-sensei will take care of it, he's the strongest!”

“How arrogant. Are you the strongest because you're Gojo Satoru? Or are you Gojo Satoru because you're the strongest?”

“He actually sleeps huh? I guess even he needs sleep.”

“A hierarchy not based purely on strength is boring if you ask me. When I make this kid’s body mine… You’ll be the first one I kill!”

“Satoru?” Before Megumi can say anything more, the both of them pause. The door opens the next second and Sukuna’s most loyal servant comes into view.