Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Dallas and I walked over to the picket n Sutton and stood by a lamppost. Just then, two boys, both looking about fourteen walked up to us.

"Why'd ya bring Chrissy's sister along?" The one with light brown hair spoke. "Not my sister." I stated quietly. I don't think he heard. "Why not man?" Dallas grabbed my shoulders which took me off guard, so I kinda stumbled over my own feet.

"So what's your name?" I asked the brown haired boy. "Ponyboy Curtis." He answered proudly. I lightly laughed at the name, I mean, how could you not?

"This is Johnny," he pulled the black haired boy out from behind him. I immediately recognized him. "Yeah I know you man, you're the one who's always hangin' around Dallas all the time." I said while lighting up another cigarette.

"Yeah I guess you could say that." He answered almost silently. Dallas was walking ahead of us three, I didn't mind at all. Ponyboy and Johnny seemed interesting.

We walked to a chain link fence with a hole at the bottom. Dallas crawled through it first, then Ponyboy, then Johnny. Dallas and I made eye contact for a moment. "C'mon Q, don't be a goodie two shoes." Dallas whined. I glared at him and dropped my cigarette and crushed it with my boot. "I didn't wanna burn myself, asshole."

We all walked to a row of seats near the back. I wasn't all interested in movies very much, I just didn't want to be at home.

A pair of girls went to the row in front of us. One was a redhead, the other was a girl who had a black Bob cut, I think. The redhead was stunning. She was one of the prettiest girls I've ever seen before.

"She's really pretty." I mumbled to Dallas, who was also eyeing her. "Fag much?" He joked around with me. To be completely honest, I think I'd take whatever I could get. It really confuses me sometimes.

"You can't say nothin'" I told him, slightly elbowing his side. "How come?" He whispered in my ear. "You like women, Dallas, I might, I don't know. Just drop it." I got really defensive really quick, that's a bad habit I have when I get nervous.

"Ya know, you don't always have to call me Dallas. Q," he whispered in my ear. I rolled my eyes. "Yeah? What the hell am I supposed to call you then? Tallahassee?" I laughed. Now it was his turn to roll his eyes. "I can't even make fun of you cause I don't know your full name." He lightly hit the back of my head.

"Don't laugh." I started. Nobody had called me my full name in years. Like litterial years. "I can't make that promise." He put his hand behind my chair and leaned back in his. I stayed quiet for a minute, I hate my full name. "Cmon Q, can't be that bad." He leaned closer to me. I rolled my eyes. "Quincey." I said quietly.

A small grin came across his face. "You're right, that is bad." He stated bluntly. "Whatever. I swear to god if you tell anyone that-" I began to tell him off. "I won't doll, you got my word." He laughed. I crossed my arms and stood silent for a minute.

"I bet you five bucks I can get her number before you can." I started out of litterialy nowhere. I hadn't really been focusing on the movie, but casually glancing at the redhead in front of me. It wasn't creepy, but she was stunning. I mean, how could you not look at her? "You owe me five bucks then." He put his feet up on her chair.

"Are you a real redhead?" He started, his voice became deeper and he wore a grin. I rolled my eyes, decided to get up and walk behind Johnny and Ponyboy to ask if they wanted popcorn. They said yes.

I returned with two popcorn and four cokes. I was honestly surprised that I could hold four cokes in the palm of my hand without spilling them. I handed Johnny and Ponyboy their own popcorn and Cokes. Dallas was really close to the redhead, clearly making her uncomfortable.

"Dallas leave her alone," I pulled the back of his jacket, making him slightly choke. I sat beside the redhead and handed her and her friend a coke. "Sorry, he can get a bit wild sometimes." I looked back at Dallas and winked, knowing I won this bet.

"Thank you." She said, taking a sip of her coke. "I haven't seen you around here," she started, turning her shoulders to look at me. "Yeah I moved here about a week ago." I laughed, leaning back in my seat and looking at her with a smile. "Well I'm Sherri Valance, but my friends call me Cherry because of my hair," she blushed. I smiled and looked down, she was really pretty.

"You do have some real nice hair, Cherry." I said coolly. I could feel Dallas' glare without even looking at him. "Thank you, I never caught your name?" She giggled. "I didn't throw it," I said, she seemed a little taken back. "I'm messin' with ya Cherry, it's Quinn, or Q, whatever you prefer of course." I smiled at her. She let out a light laugh and looked down.

"You don't seem like the soc or greaser type," she began. I hadn't really caught in with all the labels at all. "I wouldn't really consider myself either, I just hang around with who I take a liking to, and if I get the same in return, by god I've made a new friend," I explained. It all really just came off the top of my head.

"Well, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, you seem like a nice person. Maybe we could get each other's numbers and get dinner sometime?" She asked. My eyes lit up. "Yah of course Cherry," I leaned up and grabbed a pen out of the pocket of my jacket. My father always carried one inside his pockets, I guess I just caught on also.

I wrote my number on a piece of paper cherry carried around in her purse, she wrote her on the inside of my arm, she didn't have an extra price of paper.

"We'll Cherry, I loved talkin' with ya, but my mothers going to be worried sick if I don't get home soon. See ya round?" I got up and looked at her. "Yeah of course," she beamed. I stepped over the chairs and gave her a small touch on the shoulder, enough to send chills down her spine.

I walked to the exit where I saw Dallas was smoking a cigarette. "I expect my five bucks Tallahassee." I took the smoke from him. He rolled his eyes. "Don't actually make that a nickname you're gonna call me." He spoke seriously while taking out another smoke. "Did you even get her number?" He asked. I held out my arm, "and a dinner date." I said while taking a drag of the cigarette.

Dallas and I walked along the road to my house, occasionally running into each other's shoulders, making the other one stumble over their feet.

"You do have some real nice hair Cherry," Dallas mimicked, throwing his hands up as he spoke. "Hell, I thought I had charm." He exclaimed, kicking the gravel on the road. "Dallas you've got charm, you just need to read people better. Like Sherri, she's socie, girly, has manners and is polite. She won't wanna go out with a person that has a 'wanna fuck' personality." I laughed, looking down and shaking my head. "Alright, who would my charm work on? Hoods?" he joked, except I could tell it wasn't really a joke.

We walked up to the door of my house and placed my hand on the doorknob, knowing ill get scolded the minute i step in there. "If it gets too heated in there, come on over to Bucks. Please." he gave me a small pat on the back and walked off the porch. I opened the door and walked in.