Chapter 12

Ajeeb daastaan hai hai
(Present day)

"The most eligible bachelor of this country to get hitched?"

Under normal circumstances Nivedita Bhattacharya would have skipped such juicy headlines, but that was not the case today.

Because on one hand, the news was printed on the very first page of India daily. And secondly...... it was about Ehan Ranawat.

Right under the headline was a couple picture of Ehan and a very sofisticated looking lady who seemed really familiar but Nivedita couldn't remember her immediately. She started reading the column for further details.

The twenty seven years old business tycoon Ehan Ranawat is finally getting settled with former Miss India Sonal Shetty. As per sources, Sonal and Ehan had been college sweethearts who parted their ways eight years ago. But when destiny brought them together again they decided to give themselves one more chance...

Nivedita closed her eyes and tried to catch a breath. The air around her had turned suffocating somehow. And to make things worse, fragments of her past kept flooding her mind like the ruthless rains of early monsoon.

'But I don't drink alcohol!'
-'One drink  doesn't harm anyone, baby.... just drink it once and you'll feel the freedom seeping in through your veins.'

'Whats there in it? Why is it bitter?'
-'It might be the taste of your mouth'

The muscles of her forehead twitched as she started reliving all the suffocation, the paralysis and the helplessness when she fell into the college swimming pool.

Then suddenly her conversation with Ehan in the college medical wing started ringing in her ears.

'Vinita maybe.. Sonal's friend.'
-'Noo... thats not possible. Sonal was was my girl..err.. I know her since high school....'

Girl what? 'Girlfriend' right? Sonal was indeed Ehan's girlfriend once upon a time. But not even for once did he tell anything about her.

'You want to be there with me, Ehan?'
-"I would die to'

'I know you never said those three words but we were a thing in the past right?
-'you were my everything. You ARE my everything.'

Lies, lies and more all lies. All that Ehan did to her in the past eight years was lie to her. And why not? Afterall he always knew right that Nivedita was an easy target? Easy to toy with, easy to manipulate, easy to break.. so much for being the emotional fool that she was!!

"Had you agreed to marry Ehan that day, it would have been your picture with him in this newspaper."

Nivedita's eyes flew open with her mother's words and the newspaper that she had been crumbling all along, fell from her hands.

With her mouth slightly ajar, she looked at that deconstructed newspaper and then looked back at her mother. The later was pouring tea in two cups with an extremely disinterested expression. She closed her mouth and wiped her face.

Damn these tears! She cursed herself mentally.

"What I did was right, okay? That scumbag doesn't deserve me. He never did. And he never will." She took one of the cups and gulped the tea furiously, making her tongue burn in this process.

"Slowly.. uffo" Her mother took away the cup. "If he doesn't deserve you and if you don't have feelings for him either then why are you getting so worked up after reading the news of his marriage with Sonal Shetty?"