Chapter 13

Khamosiyon ki suraton mein dhunde tera shor

(Present day)

It was night already by the time Ehan opened his eyes.

For a brief moment he couldn't understand where he was. It was dark all around. And when trying to move his limbs, he found himself cramped in a really small space.

"Ahh.." A small sob broke out of him. His body ached everywhere. And his head? Oh... why was it throbbing so badly? He raised his arm and tried to touch his forehead. The skin over there felt extremely sticky and uneven and a sharp pain shoot through his nerves. He dropped his hand unable to bear the pain anymore.

"Uggh.... Nivi.." he groaned desperately. Suddenly everything from the previous day started flashing before his eyes. His fake engagement with Sonal, Nivedita's coming to his house, him following Nivedita to Dehradun, their arguement in the car, Nivedita driving into the woods...

"Nivedita?" His eyes flung open again as he hurried to stretch his hand and feel Nivedita's presence beside him. Thank god, she was still there in the car. He breathed in relief and took out his phone to hold it upon them.

Nivedita's face had been reclined against the window, smeared in blood. Ehan turned her towards him with a thudding heart. The last time he had seen her like this, he had literally fainted back into unconciousness. But he couldn't afford it this time. He needed to be strong. For both of them. And even before that he needed to take Nivedita out of this car.

Groaning in pain he opened the door of his side and stepped out. Then going to the other side he opened that door as well and dragged Nivedita's conconcious body on the ground. "Nivi..." another sob broke out of him as he pulled her onto his chest and broke down into tears.

"I am so sorry Nivi, I am so sorry...it was all my fault....totally my fault.." He kept mumbling against her face as he rubbed her back, trying to revive her senses. However, nothing seemed to work really. Nivedita's body was getting cold and so was his heart. What if he couldn't save her unlike last time? No no no.. this can't be happening. Nivedita was not supposed to die. She had to live. For him. She was the axis of his world, the elixir of his life. What was he even going to do without her? Would life and death have seperate meanings if she was not a part of his existence anymore?

"Nivi, please wake up..." he held her face between his palms and patted her cheeks. "Please wake up.. please..." he prayed anxiously as hot tears kept blinding his eyes.

Dammit! He wiped his face with his arm and clutched back Nivedita. Oh what was he supposed to do now? He didn't know how deep they were inside the forest. And as if it wasn't enough, the night had to be darker than the usual. Using the flash light of his phone was not going to guide him out of this forest. Besides, his battery was dying anyway. The only option left with him now was this goddamn maruti. But looking at its condition...

Unsure and helpless, he laid Nivedita against the bark of a sal tree and walked upto the pilot seat to open the door of that side. However, to his utter surprise, he found the door locked. He tried to pull it harder but nothing worked. Limping with pain, he rushed to the other side and tried pulling that door. But no. It too was found jammed. Perhaps this problem had arisen because of this sudden accident. Else, he couldn't have sneaked into the car in the morning as well, could he?

But if that was the case then what was the last resort remaining? The car keys, ofcourse! Without any further delay, he picked up a stone from the ground and smashed the right side window, making the glass shatter with a morbid noise that kept reverberating in the woods for a long time.