Chapter 6

Being your shadow
(Present day)

"Ooouch."

Nivedita fell back to her pillow with a deep groan escaping her lips.

Her head ached like thousand devils, somewhat like it had been chopped off or crushed under a roller. It felt terrible, pathetic, irritating.. so much so that helpless tears started rolling down her eyes.

At first she didn't make any attempt to stop those tears. Infact, she let them flow without an inhibition and made sure it was the first and last time she was crying that night.

Wait.. its really night time, right?

With a dash of confusion in mind, she wiped her eyes with her knuckles and looked around. The surroundings didn't seem familiar to those dull, tired eyes at all. Adding to it, it made her feel as if she had started hallucinating once again.

...hallucinating of being in a hospital, with Ehan by her side!!

She narrowed her eyes and inspected closely. The figure sitting at the left side of her bed with his face dug in his palms, did look like Ehan. Not only that, but he smelt like Ehan too- strong, musky, intoxicating. There was surely no way he happened to be someone else and not Mr. Ehan Arrogant Ranawat!

But what is Mr. Arrogant really doing over here?

With her confusions almost doubled up, Nivedita thought for once to shake Ehan and wake him up. But she didn't know why she changed her mind in the very next moment and decided to get down from the bed instead so as to escape from whichever hell she had been trapped inside.

If only things were as easy as what she thought...

The moment she kept her feet on the floor and took off her weight from the bed, her bed noised crankily and Ehan woke up, his eyes being all red and tired, heavily adorned with sleep, and yet focussed upon the limp creature moving around cluelessly before him.

It was kinda amusing for Ehan. Watching Nivedita sneak out was real fun. Funnier it was to watch her flushed face when caught during the act. Hence, he modulated his sleep latched voice into a deeper tone of huskiness and asked her-

"What do you think you are doing?"

Nivedita was taken aback at that. Never had she thought in her wildest dreams that Ehan would have this thin sleep, that he would wake even by the slightest sound created in bed. "I... uh..." being at a loss of words, she looked at her surroundings for one more time and finally understood that she was indeed admitted in a hospital. "Umm... why am I in a hospital?"

Ehan rolled his eyes, wandering if Nivedita had gone a short term memory loss or not. Nevertheless, he released a huge bout of air and spoke nonchalantly - "It is a nursing home."

"Ha so why am I in a nursing home?" Nivedita was quick in reframing her question. Ehan wished that she was equally quick in remembering things. But unfortunately, she wasn't.

"You, me, the road accident.... remembered?"

"Road accident?" She narrowed her eyes again and tried to think. Seconds later, she remembered everything- the restaurant fiasco, Ehan getting arrested, her going to the police station to take him him out, the not-so-pleasant-drive, the baseless banter and finally the big accident after which everything had blackened out in her mind.