02

In the locker room, Stiles asked, "Did you apologize to Allison?"

"Yeah," Scott replied.

"Is she giving you a second chance or-"

"Yeah."

"Yeah! All right. So everything's good."

"No."

"No?"

"Remember - The hunters. Her dad is one of 'em. So is her cousin."

"Her dad and cousin?"

"Shot me-"

"Allison's father and cousin?"

"With a crossbow."

"Allison's father-"

"Yes! Her father! Oh, my God."

"No, Scott. Snap back. You okay? Hey, all right? He didn't recognize you, right? Did her cousin?"

"No. N-no. I don't think so. Yeah. Carter goes to school with us. Remember? But I think we can trust him."

"Does she know about them?"

"Oh, yeah. I don't know. What if she does? This is gonna kill me, man."

"Okay, just focus on lacrosse. Okay, here, Scott. Take this." He handed Scott the lacrosse stick. "Take this, and focus on lacrosse for now, okay? That's all you gotta do, yeah?"

"Lacrosse."

"Here we go!"

🐺🐺🐺

They made their way out to the field and Coach yelled, "Let's go! One-on-one from up top! Jackson - take a long stick today. Atta boy. That's how you do it! Greenberg, take a lap. Let's go. Faster, Greenberg! Let's go. McCall, what are you waiting for? Let's go. Hey, McCall. Hey, McCall!"

"You sure you still want to be first line McCall?" Jackson asked snidely.

Coach began stammering. "My-my grandmother can move faster than that -- and she's dead! You think you can move faster than the lifeless corpse of my dead grandmother?"

"Yes, Coach," Scott replied tightly.

"I can't hear you!"

Scott gritted his teeth. "Yes, Coach."

"Then do it again! McCall's gonna do it again! McCall's gonna do it again! Let's go!"

"Scott? Scott, you okay?" Stiles asked worriedly.

"Yeah, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!"

Jackson rammed into Scott, injuring his shoulder, and Scott looked to his friend and said quietly, "I can't control it, Stiles! It's happening!"

"What?" Stiles asked, alarmed. "Right here? Now?"

"Come on, get up. Come on. Come on."

Stiles led Scott to the locker room.

🐺🐺🐺

"Come on, here we go," Stiles said, making sure Scott was okay. "There. That's it. You okay? Scott, you okay?"

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" Scott roared.

Scott started attacking him and eventually calmed down and asked in a dazed tone, "Stiles...? What happened?"

"You tried to kill me," Stiles panted before his voice took on a grim tone. "It's like I told you before -- it's the anger, it's your pulse rising. It's a trigger."