chapter 2

Smoke
____

It was a day like no other in the city. Mk was delivering noodles while beat boxing to Eazy-E and Eminem. Just like every other day.

Mk was feeling really good about himself, with the fresh breeze hitting his face. He was confident and proud, considering the fact that he and his gang defeated Iron fan, DBK, and Red son again the other month. Since then, nothing has really happened.

That's when Mk started thinking about the one on one fight he had with Red son over stealing some random ancient artifact. Red son seemed.. He didnt have the words. Red son seemed almost lost in thought during their battle. He kept muttering to himself, which Mk realized he does a lot. Things have actually seemed off recently. It's almost as if Red didn't even want to fight Mk, which is odd.

"Oh shut up Mk, save the thoughts for later, your delivering noodles! You need to focus on your job instead of thinking of Red so- ok now that sounds weird, well I made it we- ok shut up you need to focus!" Mk shook his head of his thoughts as he walked up to the front door of the next customer.

It's simple knowledge. Red son was a bad guy and Mk was a good guy. He shouldn't be worried about Red right now, he should be worried about being late for his next delivery and his paycheck being cut short. After what seemed like hours, Mk finished his last delivery, and headed back to Pigsy's to help him clean up and close the store. Mk had the day off tomorrow, thank goodness. He was probably going to train with the Monkie king and then just scout the city for any bad guys or something.

----

"Monkie king, your too strong!" Mk whined as he fell to the floor, defeated. Over him was a shadow of a monkey.

"Awww, poor baby~ sulking on the floor ain't gonna get you no where, bud. Now get up, you goober!" The Monkie king laughed and offered Mk a hand.

The Great sage himself lifted the boy onto his feet, brushing the dirt off of his jacket. "You did great today, kid! Now.. you just need to work on your focus!" Mk stared at him with a "are you kidding me-" look on his face.

"Pftttt~ Ohhh dont be like that, I'm teasing! Your doing good, Mk. Proud of ya!" Sun wukong gave him a little punch on the shoulder, almost knocking Mk off his feet.

"Well, gotta bounce. Thanks for the help today, Monkie king! See ya soon!" Mk waved goodbye as he launched himself into the air with his staff. From the ground, he could see the Great sage waving back.

Mk flew through the air, feeling almost like a bird. His staff replicated a pogo stick as he bounced through the air, smiling at the cool breeze.

Mk did this a lot when he was in a good mood. He liked watching over the city, especially alone. As much as Mk loved his family/friends, he never seemed to get enough time to himself.

Out of the blue, Mk heard shouts and screams.

"..Well that sure isn't normal! I wonder who attacked the city today!" Mk chuckled nervously as he made his way over to the noises. That's when a strange scent hit him hard. Smoke.

"It's got to be a fire in a random building or something.. Right..?"

Once on the ground, he began sprinting towards the commotion. He ran into the scene to find himself surrounded by crumbling buildings, heavy smoke, and flames. This definitely wasn't just some ordinary fire.

A girl ran into Mk and tripped, falling to the floor. She looked strangely familiar.. From what Mk can see, she's about 12, maybe 13 years old. She's burnt badly on her legs, Her dark black hair looked as if the flames took off 2 inches, her clothes tattered, and some of her skin is burned.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" Mk asked as he helped the girl to her feet. "Yes, im alright. But some people aren't! All of a sudden, a huge fire appeared out of nowhere! People are hurt!" She coughed, having some trouble getting to her feet.

"Hey, hey, It's alright. What's your name?" Mk asked.

She managed to stay on her feet as she said "Bei He."

"Ok, Bei He, go find a safe place to hide. I'll figure this mess out!" He squeezed her hand for reassurance. The girl smiled and ran off, yelling him a thank you.

She was strong for her age, that's for sure. She managed to keep a steady voice and somehow didn't cry at all. If Mk were in her situation at that age, he would be on the floor, crying is eyes out. Or worse, dead.

Mk ran though the part of the city that was attacked. This couldn't have been anyone else's doing.. This definantly wasn't just an accidental fire. This was an attack. And the only person associated to fire was-

Mk stopped and stared.

Was that..?

It had to be.

A levitating figure in the sky turned to look at the monkie kid.

The figure had glowing white eyes.

----