chapter 5

Inaudible voices
______

The group was in the van, making their way to their next destination. Wukong and Mk fell asleep while telling stories, Mei was playing with Moe, Tang was talking to Pigsy, and Sandy was driving.

2 hours pass by until Sandy slammed on the breaks.

"We're here everybody!" Sandy said happily. 

"Oh finally, I'm sick of being in this van!" Mei said as she hopped up from where she sat. Mk practically had to drag Wukong out of the van, which sure woke them both up.

Finally awake, yet still drowsy, Wukong sighed.

"He's got to be here. If he wasn't, he would be pestering me on flower fruit mountain. This is the only other place he could handle being at." Wukong said, putting his finger to his chin as if he were debating on it.

Thick woods were near the main field, with large rocks and small stones. Everything had a dark, purple glow to it. The whole group had an uneasy feeling about this place, though Wukong kind of looked like he was on the verge of tears. Mk really did wonder why.

"Monkie king, you okay? You look a little.. Down.." Mk asked. 

"Yes yes, I'm okay. Stay calm, stay calm." 

Wukong dug his hands into his pockets as everyone started into the wood. The place had an uneasy aura, no doubt about that. Echo's of inaudible voices could be heard from every corner as they headed deeper through the trees. 

Tang and Pigsy held hands, weapons in the other. Leading the way, Wukong dragged Mk along by the wrist with his tail, making sure to be cautious of attack. Mei skipped along happily, ignoring the fact that the woods were shady as fuck. And Sandy was in the back, because he was the tallest one there. All of a sudden, they stopped. 

Coming from the back, they heard small, unfamiliar laughter.

"Uhm.. Ok.. Can anyone explain what that was?" Pigsy said, holding his spatula for defense. Wukong tightened his grasp on Mk's wrist, making sure not to let go. All of a sudden, a shadow popped out of a purple portal right beside the Monkie King.

"Boo!" The shadow laughed.

"OH MY FUCKING GO-" Wukong shrieked, almost knocking Mk off his feet. Monkie king turned to his side, yet found nothing there.

"Oh, cut it with the tricks! We aren't here to play card games with you!" Wukong yelled at the sky.

Once again, a portal appeared, right above the Monkie king's face.

"Aw~ poor Peaches!" The figure booped Wukongs's nose and flew back into the portal. 

"Monkie king, who's this "Peaches" were talking about?" Mk asked, using his hands for quotations. 

"Well, you see Mk, it's a very old nickname that was from somebody I used to know." Wukong glared at the sky where the portal once was, only for another portal to appear at his feet and trip him. 

Mei couldn't help but laugh as Wukong fell flat on his face, cursing under his breath.

"Dammit- Six Eared Macaque, I will slap you silly if you don't knock it off!" Wukong growled, rising from the ground and brushing the dirt off his jacket. A portal appeared in the sky once more, and out hopped Macaque, giggling like a little girl.

"Alright alright, you caught me! It's a shame, really. I wanted to play a little longer." Macaque shrugged, then suddenly launched himself at Sun Wukong, wrapped him into a chokehold, and pulled a pocket knife to his throat.

"Alright, Peaches! What do you want from me?" He grinned. Wukong didn't dare move, knowing that Macaque could and would slice him in half right there without hesitation.

Mei raised her dragon sword, prepared to attack at any given moment. Ain't no way she was losing a teammate to this emo fucker.

"Woah! Woah! Woah! Hey, Macaque! Let's take it easy, now! No need to get aggressive!" The Monkie king laughed nervously, trying to pry the shadow off of him.

"Monkie king!" Mk rushed towards them, only to be shoved to the side by the shadow. 

"Stand down, Mk. Any of you move and Peaches gets it." He grinned slyly as Mei lowered her weapon and glared at him. Mk took a step back, overwhelmed with anxiety. Macaque turned back to Sun wukong and glared at him.

"Alright Peaches, speak. Why are you here?" Macaque asked, leaning into Wukong's face while pressing the knife closer to his throat.

"Well uh- well you see.. To keep it short, the samahdi fire is back, Red son has officially gone insane, and the whole city is destroyed? We needed extra hands on deck.. And we.. Uh.. Wanted you to help us..?

Macaque blinked and started laughing hysterically. "Ohh, Wukong. You always managed to make me laugh! Anyways, what's the real reason?" His expression turned to stone as he pressed the knife closer. He grinned as blood started to drip.

"That's the real reason, I swear! We want your help!" Wukong nervously smiled, turning to Mk and giving him the "I'm fucked" sort of look.

"Are you kidding me? I'd rather sell my left leg than hold a door open for you, let alone help you. You might as well be on your way." With that, he shoved the Monkie king forward, satisfied with the blood that covered his pocket knife.

"Your lucky that I'm not in the mood for a fight, Sun Wukong. See you around." He waved and turned his back to them.

"Monkie king! Are you alright?!" Mk rushed over to him. Wukong looked like he was about to cry from the sudden shock as Macaque began walking away, shoving the knife back into his belt.

"MACAQUE! JUST PROCESS THIS FOR A SECOND!" Mk called for him. Macaque turned to him and smiled sweetly. 

"Trust me when I say this, Mk. You don't want my help. You have the almighty Great Sage equal to heaven, and that's all you need." He waved them a "toodles!" And started off again. 

Mk practically dug through his mind until something came to him. The girl he ran into on the streets! Macaque knows her! 

 "Macaque! Do you happen to know a girl named Bei He?" Mk called. Macaque paused for a moment before he slipped through a portal and appeared in front of Mk. 

"How do you know her?" Macaque reached for his knife once more, making Mk quite nervous. He guessed that Macaque was protective of the girl..?

Mk took a step back and said, "she was caught in the fire-"

"She was WHAT?"

"-but thankfully made it out alive. And Red son-"

"That little fucker-"

"LET ME TALK! And the fire is going to continue spread if we don't stop Red son as soon as possible. You don't have to get along with us, but at least help us for her sake?"

Macaque thought for a moment. He sighed and put his knife away. He crossed his arms and glared at the boy.

"Alright.. Fine. I'll help you, but only for Bei He. Your lucky you ran into her, or else I wouldn't be agreeing to this." 

Macaque leaned into Mk's face and says. "Don't try anything, Monkie kid. I'm not in the mood to die a second time." With that, he pushed Mk aside and met face to face with Mei. 

"Alright, gre-" Macaque started but was cut off when she grabbed his collar and pulled him forward. 

"I'm watching you, shadow guy. Don't you try anything, either. Were here to get in and get out, that's it." She let go of him and grabbed Mk by the hand. She was clearly underestimating how obnoxious and rude Macaque would be.

"Yes ma'am, dont have to tell me twice." Macaque sighed and tucked his hands behind his back.

"The van is this way, we don't have anytime to waste. Let's go!" Mei huffed as she dragged Mk through the woods.

----