Chapter 21

JAX

"Ha. Ha. Very funny." I deadpanned in my typical, sarcastic tone, crossing my arms in an effort to make my typically spastic exterior look a little bit more serious. "Alright cotton candy, can you cut the crap and tell me the truth this time?"

Benji's expression conveyed that he was searching for words before he finally replied.

"Jax... It is not a joke. It must have been some sort of genetic mutation en uter -"

A loud, uncontrollable guffaw broke through the air before I could stop it, and I had to physically clutch my stomach in order to force my abdominal muscles to keep me upright as I doubled over.

"Alright, alright, seriously, you can stop it now. I already figured you guys out!" I forced out between breaths of laughter, "That little yellow haired alien is finally getting me back for calling him a mutant! Damn, I thought the only undercover smart person was Tyrus but I gotta admit, that lil' yellow dwarf did pretty good with this one." I finished, chuckling a few more times and shaking my head at the ground before I was finally able to slowly pull myself upright.

What I expected to see when I looked back up was Benji smiling at me, some laughter and maybe even the tiniest bit of frustration in his eyes due to the fact that I figured out his little ruse. But what I saw instead made my heart drop into my goddamn stomach.

Benji held out a piece of paper, bent in the middle like it had been folded up and shoved in someone's back pocket for a few hours. At the top was a big, black logo that read 'Gene Corp.', and underneath was my name along with a shit ton of tiny lettering which my brain didn't even attempt to comprehend.

...Couldn't comprehend.

Because it was stuck on one spot.

'Results: ABNORMAL SECONDARY GENDER. Beta / Omega Dominant'

A heavy breath escaped my chest in shaky pumps as I tried to find a way to reason through this.

Nah, man.

No way.

This could not be happening.

"O-okay, I-I'm serious now... Stop it. This i-isn't funny, Benji." My body recoiled and I stumbled a few steps backward with a humorless laugh and an accusatory finger pointed at the half-Fae. My limbic system was reacting to that stupid ass piece of paper as if it were tainted by a deadly virus.

"Jax... Listen, I -"

"I SAID STOP IT! SHUT UP!" I screamed out, stumbling back about one foot further. The final, unexpected sensation of my back hitting the firm wall of Corey's chest finally triggered the avalanche.

'You dumb, worthless, little shit!'

'You will never be half the Beta I am'

"SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!"

My head was an egg in a microwave, heated up entirely too fast and threatening to burst at any second as it was flooded with every single emotion known to man in an earth-shattering second. I didn't know who I was yelling at or even why, but my skull was thundering with everything, everywhere, all at once and I was completely powerless to its control.

The room warped around my periphery, turning a mottled black as the pain in my skull increased. It was only when trembling hands came down to reveal a handful of crumpled hair strands that I realized what I had been doing - pulling it out at the root.

'If you submit to something as powerless as a damn kitten, you will never amount to anything more than a fucking Omega.'

It couldn't be true.