Chapter 36

THIRD PERSON POV

Corey had known that this was destined to happen. That one day, Jax's recessive Omega genes would inevitably float to the surface and toss him head-first into his first heat. But regardless of the fact that he knew this, and that his mind had ample time to become somewhat primed for the occasion, nothing could have prepared him for... this.

Jaxon's soft skin seared, his voice yearned, and his slim form twisted as he contorted his body, curling up on top of the blanket that was padded by the lush grass beneath.

Neither party could remember exactly how they had managed to move from the mouth of the clearing to the blanket, what with Jax rapidly losing himself to heat fog and Corey's instincts steering his movements in a way that left him with nothing but the capacity to endlessly stare at his mate as if he'd fallen into a mindless trance.

Corey's chest burned and fingertips trembled as he leaned down, caressing Jax's cheeks with the soft pads of his thumbs as he gently coaxed his beloved to look at him, to acknowledge the love that burned hot like embers in the depths of his soul.

Pain bled from Jax's eyes as he silently begged for help from his mate, and Corey's gut churned at the fresh mound of crystal tears that filled his Omega's lower lash line and clumped his dark lashes together.

"P–Ple..." The smaller man clung to his Alpha as he cried out with an anguished hiccup, fingers digging into any flesh that he could find in a desperate attempt at increasing their percentage of skin-to-skin contact.

He had to soothe the fire that charred his bones from the inside out, and the only way to do that was to ride the waves of endorphins that shot across the planes of his body like a skipping stone whenever he made contact with his Alpha.

"Shh, my love. I've got you." Corey whispered tenderly, resting his forehead against Jax's. The connection didn't do much, only soothing the ache in his chest by a fraction, and when his mate let out a particularly painful croon that sounded more like a choke, the Alpha found his own eyes filling with a similar wave of moisture. "I know it hurts. I will fix it, I promise."

So, instincts tearing him apart at the seams, Corey got to work.

They didn't have to speak as their bond raged, cracking like visible electricity in the air. Theirs was a connection that existed beyond the limits of anything that trivial words could capture, and despite their silence, Corey knew exactly what Jax needed.

Jax's scent poured over the Alpha like holy water, his fragrance morphing and strengthening until he smelled only of the most delicious sin, a man worth dying for as their lips connected and they both melted into the touch.

Tongues clashed, lips pressed, and saliva stirred as they kissed with an unparalleled ferocity, Jax's fingers clenching into the short hair at the back of Corey's neck in an effort to keep him there. At the same time, the Alpha submitted himself to his mate's desperate claim as his hands worked to tear off their clothing, a barely-noticeable tremble vibrating his knuckles as he did so.

He tried to be careful, to protect his mate's clothing from his frenzied attempts to get him naked considering the fact that he'd probably go just a little bit insane if someone saw him in the nude when they eventually made their way back to the Pack House. But the telltale sound of seams ripping less than a moment later dashed that hope to shreds, and he quickly made the executive decision that he would simply cover Jax with his own body if he needed to.

"Off." Jax managed to gather the whereabouts to beg, forcing the single word through tight, teary vocal cords as he pulled at his mate's shirt. Of course, Corey was quick to oblige, momentarily cutting off their skin-to-skin connection as he sat up on his knees, pulling his shirt off in one, easy swipe.