Chapter 28: A Crack in the Glass

ALRIGHT, YOU DON'T HAVE A CHOICE THIS TIME! YOU BETTER LISTEN TO THIS SONG WHILE YOU READ OR ELSE I WILL FIND YOU >:( It will repeat on its own, it's an hour loop! Enjoy!

THIRD PERSON POV

They say that loving someone can make you lose yourself. And lose himself, Rayson did.

The Alpha descended into a frenzy of horror, brain splintering into a million different pieces as he tried to figure out what to do.

Knox bumped around in his mind, ripping at its stifling confines as echoes of his own anguish only potentiated the effects of Ray's shock.

Trembling hands reached out and – as if on autopilot – Rayson did the first thing he could think of.

He shook Danny. Hard.

"Bunny?!" Rayson's voice broke with fear as he tried with all of his might to rouse his mate, whose entire body now lacked that distinct pillowy softness that the Alpha so loved to feel; always a perfect juxtaposition to his own, coarser skin.

And that pretty, pink color that resided just underneath Danny's skin – the one that made his Omega glow like nothing short of an Angel – was dull, like someone had snuffed out the very light from underneath it.

Rayson grunted, extremities shaking with uncontainable dread as he pulled Danny's limp form close, laying the smaller man sideways across his lap. It was impossible to control the violent tremble in his arms as he cradled his mate's floppy head like the most delicate piece of glass, but still, the Alpha tried.

"I need you to wake up, baby. Just open your eyes, come on..." He begged, breath hitching.

Rayson should have mind-linked someone. He should have screamed for help. He should have done anything in his power to get his mate help from an outside source. But the Alpha was overcome, unraveling at the seams at an alarming speed, and unable to stitch himself up fast enough to form any logical thought beyond the primitive instinct to protect Danny; to keep him safe from everyone and hold him tight in his arms until he solved the problem himself.

Because he would solve it. He had to solve it. It was solvable. It had to be.

At this point in his fifty years of life, there was almost nothing that could frighten the Alpha. Rayson had become somewhat immune to even the thought of his own death, his personal well-being taking the backburner as he focused every ounce of energy on his mate, his pack, and the perfect little family that they'd built together.

... But anything happening to his dear, beautiful bunny... That fear had never ebbed. In fact, it had only worked itself deeper into his soul over the years, digging in until it secured itself as the Alpha's deepest, most agonizing nightmare.

A nightmare that was now unfolding before his very eyes.

"Please, baby! Please, don't do this to me. I love you so fucking much... I can't– I can't, oh God/dess, please!" Rayson sobbed, chest halting halfway through each breath even though his body was still much too deep in shock to create any tears.

Ray had to do something drastic. An action he couldn't even fathom carrying out in any circumstance other than the one he found himself in right now; a dire situation in which he felt that his soulmate had the possibility of slipping right through his very fingers like water continued its journey through a bubbling brook.

"Please forgive me, God/dess please forgive me!" Rayson cried out hoarsely as he lifted his hand from Danny's cheek, the red mark left behind a vile reminder of what he had just done. The Alpha simply couldn't cope as the sharp sound of the slap rang incessantly in his ears, guilt consuming him whole at the realization that he'd laid a hand on his mate in any other situation than to love him.