Chapter 4

Ortiz

(Image above is how I see Corey! You can imagine him however you like, though.)

The newborn Alpha twins were cute and I tried my best to feel happiness for Berlin and Osias, but as I sat dejectedly in the dusty corner of the hospital room on the floor, my mind was in a completely different universe. Even as Berlin's brother Tyrus had the most awkward interaction with the puny Fae kid, which under different circumstances I would have laughed my ass off about, all I could focus on was this deeply unfamiliar, gut-wrenching emptiness that was slowly colonizing every crevice of my mind.

When Tyrus ran out of the room in search of the kid with the yellow hair I made my exit shortly after, which bright me to where I am now - laying underneath my black comforter feeling like complete and utter shit.

Although my wounds from the fight with Osias were rapidly healing, my brain kept taunting me by replaying every second of me screaming at Corey, and his face that lacked any semblance of emotion after those harsh words slipped from my mouth. While sitting in my corner in the hospital after Berlin gave birth, I kept subconsciously stealing glances at him with the hope of catching his eye and seeing any hint of an emotion towards me at all, even if it was anger.

Somehow, it made me feel even shittier that he didn't even acknowledged that I was there. I'd rather he get angry and scream and yell at me rather than act like I didn't even exist.

The thing that confused me the most was that I didn't understand why I cared so damn much about him acknowledging me in the first place. I fought for months to get the annoying bastard to leave me the fuck alone, but now that he actually was, I felt an odd sensation that I'd never felt before.

Did I feel... lonely?

The thought made me sit straight up in bed, shaking my head so hard and fast I thought my freckles might fly off. I hadn't felt this level of loneliness since was a kid... since before...

"No, no, no..."

I shook my head hard again, forcing my brain to halt my train of thought in its tracks before it even started. With a deep sigh, I looked around my messy room, glancing at the clock on my bedside table which read 6:42 PM on the bold, digital display. Although it was painfully early, I flopped back down on my bed and decided to get some sleep in an effort to calm down my highly overactive mind that seemed to betray me more and more every day.

I closed my eyes with and groaned loudly, trying to clear my mind and get comfortable in my large bed. However, a few minutes later, I found myself curling up into a ball when it occurred to me that it felt so, overwhelmingly... cold and empty.

"What the fuck are you talking about Ortiz, get a damn grip and stop acting like Berlin's needy ass." I grumbled angrily to myself, closing my eyes once again and forcing myself to sleep.

+

I tossed and turned for around 3 hours until I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I kept waking up every 10 to 15 minutes, feeling weirdly foreign and uncomfortable in my bed which - before Corey's arrival - had been a safe place for me to come and relax. But right now, it was one of my biggest enemies.

"Fuck him." I grumbled under my breath again, going to slide off of my bed, but winced a moment later as I felt a sharp pain in my chest following the words.