Chapter 24

THIRD PERSON POV

The world was quiet. The wind docile in its sweep of the land, the trees still and unswaying, and the birds silent in their songs, as if all of nature were bowing their heads to the sight before them.

And what a sight it was.

Jaxon crouched at a gravestone, one hidden at the very back of the Pack Cemetery. Its marble form was overcome with moss and other signs of time, the name etched into its face obscured by years of neglect, but Jax preferred it that way. It was better that he was forgotten.

Behind Jax a large figure loomed closeby, but consciously put in an effort to leave just enough space for his mate to not feel coddled. Corey's expression was steely - as it always was - but his tightly crossed arms clearly indicated his emotions to anyone who knew him well enough to extrapolate.

The Alpha was holding himself back, gritting his sharp jaw as he fought against the overwhelmingly irrational urge to dig up Jax's abuser and inject life back into him, just to pull him back apart, limb-by-limb.

"What up, asshole." Jax finally spoke after a long moment of silence. The Beta's voice was strong, and decisive, a stark contrast to the person that he was only a few months ago.

Because now, there was nothing to be afraid of.

Witnessing the return of his mate's signature, sarcastic snark was like a breath of the freshest air to Corey. He adored his mate's wild and unruly personality, how it fit like an unlikely puzzle piece to his own, much more subdued one.

"I brought you a flower," Jax continued, twirling the stem of a lone daisy between his thumb and forefinger, "... Because I know you hate em'."

The left corner of Corey's lip twitched upward the slightest bit at his mate's words, suppressing a proud chuckle at his mate's somewhat charming attempt at spite. Jax's eyes shifted upward for a moment, chewing gently on his bottom lip as he thought of just how he should proceed. It took a few moments of contemplation to be sure, but the quiet company of his mate provided the last little bit of confidence he needed to push forward.

"... I've got a mate now. His name is Corey, and he's an Alpha, and he treats me like... like I matter," Jax took a deep breath, slightly crushing the delicate stem of the daisy between his fingers as he stared at its twirling petals.

"... You know, I've learned more in these years since you've been gone than any of your lessons could have ever taught me in an entire lifetime. Family... it isn't who you're born to. It's not even who you're willing to die for. No, family... family is who you are willing to live for." Jax dropped his arm, peering over his shoulder to beckon his mate closer.

Corey wasted no time in stepping over, crouching down behind Jax and wrapping his arms around the shoulders of the smaller man. His mate leaned into the comforting touch, unable to resist the compulsion to nuzzle the top of his head against the bottom of his chin.

"...And here... with Corey... I want to live." Jax finished with a smile, tilting his head to catch a glimpse of his Alpha, who was already staring back down at his beloved gift.

In his mate's neverending, liquid brown eyes, he saw everything.

Tyrus; with his goofy smile and stupid questions.

Berlin, with his short shorts and dual baby carriers.

Osias; with his signature scowl and mischievous manner.

Danny; with his black neck pillow and never ending libido.

Rayson; with his quiet air, fierce dedication, and equally never ending libido.