Chapter 31: The Sleep Over Part 1

Max's Pov

Okay, Max, I thought to myself, taking a deep breath. Don't be hasty. Just take your time, and make your desicion very carefully.

"Give it to me, Max," said the white bunny, his eyes super glued to me. "I know you have what I need."

"Oh! Is it peanut butter?"

"Shut up, Mel!" replied Buddy, eyes focused on me as well. "Why would a bunny want peanut butter?"

"Hey, ya never know," the pug responded.

"Don't give it to him, Max!"

"Yeah, not helping, Duke," I replied, ears ringing.

"But he will, I just know it," Snowball spoke up.

Alright then, I thought. I can feel it. This has to be the one. And...

I slowly pulled a card from the deck, and gave it a good once-over before replacing the card with another and putting the old card face up on the table. Everyone looked at Snowball, waiting for him to make a move.

"...Wow...," he spoke quietly, looking down. "Max...I..."

Next, he slapped his deck of cards down, and jump on the table.

"...really didn't think you'd give me the card I needed!" He yelled. "Double Tonk!"

"Dang it! I gave it to him!"

"Nooooooo!"

"...You...can not...be serious..."

"...So no peanut butter then?"

Buddy narrowed his eyes at the pug, while Norman spoke up from a barstool he was on, with a whiteboard and marker.

"And that makes twelve wins!"

"What the heck, Norman!" Duke exclaimed, while I was shaking my head at the psychotic bunny air thrusting in victory. "You're supposed to be keeping track of each game we all win!"

"But I am! Snowball won all twelve games!"

"...I give up."

"Norman, are you positive that you shuffled these cards right?" asked Buddy with a deadpanned expression. "I know he's good at this, but there's absolutely no way he could have won all those games."

"Don't doubt my skills buddy-o pal," the guinea pig answered. "But the dang bunny plays this game for a livin'."

"Or to rob you of all your stuff," Duke muttered under his breath.

"Listen, I know y'all trash at this, but there's no way you couldn't have made it easier for me!" the smirking bunny taunted, then rested his arm on my shoulder. "By the way, I appreciate the help, TD! Hahaha!"

Duke sighed, throwing his cards in the air. "Never playing cards again."

"I'm never playing cards with him again," Buddy sighed, tossing his deck across the table.

"I'm never gonna get my peanut butter," Mel moaned, laying his head on the table.

"Mel, no one except you mentioned anything about peanut butter."

"Hey, after those back-to-back Ls you just took hotdog, I'd take some of it tonight to cope if I were you," Snowball responded, laughing as Buddy burned his eyes through the bunny's skull.

I shook my head at them all, smiling. Friends really make things interesting around here.

"I don't know about you guys," I began, "but I'm thinking we should call it a night. What do you say?"