CHAPTER THREE. BEST HOLIDAY OF THE YEAR

CHAPTER THREE.
BEST HOLIDAY OF THE YEAR

☆ミ ☆彡

HALLOWEEN WAS PROBABLY CHALLAN'S FAVORITE HOLIDAY. For reasons she felt were obvious. It was actually kind of pathetic. She loved that she could dress up as anything she wanted. She could wear masks, face paint, wigs, anything really to disguise herself. No one would ever know that it was her underneath her costumes and she loved it. For one night a year, she could be someone else. Sometimes she wished she could be someone else permanently.

She was sitting at the breakfast table, eating cereal alone. Her father had gotten off a shift at the fire station early that morning and was asleep and her mother was at work. Because it was Halloween, she didn't have ballet today after school and her father could sleep in and not have to worry about taking her.

She watched as the wind gently rustled the trees outside her kitchen window as she finished up her cereal. Once she was done, she grabbed her backpack and left the house, locking the door behind her as she went to the bus stop.

Challan's house was never decorated for Halloween. Her mother never felt like there was any point in doing it. Trick-or-treaters hardly came to their house for candy, their parents were probably too afraid that the candy would be poisoned or something. It honestly bothered Challan. She would pretend that it didn't but of course it did. She really hated Hawkins.

The bus pulled up to her stop and she quickly got on, making her way to the back. She jumped over the leg of a kid who stuck his leg out in an attempt to trip her. After sending him a sharp glare, that sent a lot of fear into his body, Challan sat down in an empty seat in the back, looking out the window as the bus continued to school.

As soon as the bus got to school, Challan instantly wanted to leave. She stepped off the bus, a scowl on her face as she made her way to the school's entrance. Her eyes landed on four boys wearing matching Ghost Busters uniforms. She recognized them as Lucas, Dustin, Mike, and Will. The four boys looked embarrassed as the kids around them began to laugh and point. For a moment, Challan felt relief that the attention wasn't on her for a change. Maybe that was selfish. But as the boys continued being laughed at, Challan couldn't help but feel bad. She understood what it was like to be made fun of.

She cautiously made her way over to the four who seemed dejected as they stood in front of the bike rack. "Hey," she said softly. The four looked over at her, their faces all holding different expressions. Dustin's mouth dropped open, Lucas looked nervous, Mike looked shocked, and Will looked scared. She almost rolled her eyes at them.

"Cool costumes," she complimented. The four looked at each other before looking back at her.

"Uh, t-thanks. Thank you," Dustin stuttered. The rest of the boys muttered 'thank yous' as well. Challan nodded, sending them a small, and hopefully not intimidating, smile before continuing on her way into the school.