CHAPTER TWELVE. THE APOLOGY MIXTAPE

CHAPTER TWELVE.
THE APOLOGY MIXTAPE

☆ミ ☆彡

AFTER HER FATHER HAD SHOWN HER HOW TO USE THE WALKMAN, Challan locked herself away in her room and stared at it. She wasn't sure she what she wanted to do. She could listen to the mixtape or she could throw it in with the rest of her cassettes and never look at it or think about it again.

She really did want to listen to it but there was something that was holding her back. A little voice in her brain telling her not to do it. That she would regret it.

But a louder voice was telling her that if she didn't listen to it, she'd regret it more. Challan looked between the cassette and Walkman again before finally opening the case and pulling the cassette out of it. She opened the Walkman and carefully placed the cassette into it. After closing it, she took a deep breath, put the headphones over her ears, and then pressed play.

The first song to play was Dancing Queen. A small smile made it's way onto her face. Max was clever for including that song and putting it first. It instantly put Challan in a good mood. Her eyes closed as she listened to the song play.

When it ended, an unfamiliar song filtered into her ears. Challan looked down and read the case. Heart Of Glass by Blondie. Challan scanned through the list of songs that were written on the cassette case. She spotted Tiny Dancer and rolled her eyes, her smile widening.

The other songs on the mixtape were: I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor, Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel by Tavares, Lean On Me by Bill Withers, You've Got A Friend by Carole King, Little Girl Blue by Janis Joplin, The Battle Of Evermore by Led Zeppelin, and Everybody's Happy Nowadays by Buzzcocks.

She had heard a few of the other songs but was excited to hear the one's she was unfamiliar with. An overwhelming feeling of felicity overcame her whilst listening to the mixtape. But by the time she was finished listening to Lean On Me, she couldn't help the tears that escaped from her eyes. Her grandmother used to play this song all of the time. It had been one of the woman's favorite songs. Challan really liked the message of the song and had hoped she would find someone that she could lean on and vice versa. Could that person be Max? Songs that tell you things that I wasn't sure how to say. Is this one of those songs?

Her crying fit seemed to intensify whilst listening to You've Got A Friend. And by the time she got to Little Girl Blue, Challan was a mess of tears. She didn't understand how something as small as a mixtape could evoke so many emotions in her. Maybe it was the songs; maybe it was Max's gesture and the effort she put into making this mixtape; or maybe it was the Mayfield girl herself. Challan didn't know. What she did know was by the time Everybody's Happy Nowadays was complete, she would have to make a decision.