CHAPTER SEVENTEEN. GOT A SECRET

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.
GOT A SECRET

☆ミ ☆彡

FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT NIGHT, Challan felt like she could breathe. They had arrived at the Byers' house shortly after leaving the lab. For a moment, she felt safe. They had the police chief there who had more deadly weapons than a baseball bat. Although Challan wasn't too fond of guns, she knew that they had a better chance of killing those Demogorgons than Steve's nail bat did.

Hopper was on the phone, talking to someone about what happened at the lab in hopes of getting help. Jonathan was with an unconscious Will who lay on the couch. Nancy was at his side, a hand on his shoulder for comfort as he whispered to his younger brother. Steve watched for a moment before walking into the kitchen.

The remaining kids sat around the kitchen table, watching as Hopper yelled at someone on the phone. He angrily slammed the phone back into the receiver.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin questioned, already knowing the answer.

Hopper turned to them, "We'll see."

"'We'll see'? We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" Mike interjected.

"We stay here, and we wait for help," Hopper stated firmly and that was the end of the discussion.

Challan sunk into her seat, her fingers gently tapping on the table that her hands were resting on. She didn't mind sitting there and waiting for help. She didn't want to go back out there ever again until all of those monsters were dead. The group sat silently, not having anything to do. Challan allowed her head to drop onto the back of her hands which now laid flat against the table. Exhaustion hit her like a tsunami and all she wanted to do now was sleep.

Lucas patted her arm softly in an awkward attempt to comfort her. She didn't really need it in that moment but she appreciated it, sending him a tired smile.

Mike stood up from his seat and walked out of the kitchen. He picked something up and began speaking without looking at them. "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?"

Bob Newby was Joyce Byers' boyfriend. Challan never met the man but finding out that he had died in that lab trying to save the others saddened her. She couldn't imagine what Ms. Byers was going through. She never wanted to love someone like that and then lose them. Never.

"Really?" Lucas asked.

Mike turned to them, "He petitioned the school to start it and everything. Then he had a fundraiser for equipment. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him. Pretty awesome, right?"

"Yeah," Dustin and Lucas spoke one after the other. Mike walked forward and placed the object in his hand on the table. It looked like a Rubik's cube but Challan wasn't a hundred percent sure that that was what it was.