CHAPTER EIGHTEEN. THE WAITING GAME

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.
THE WAITING GAME

☆ミ ☆彡

ON ANY NORMAL OCCASION, CHALLAN WAS TYPICALLY A PATIENT PERSON. It was easy to acquire patience when you have so much free time on your hands. But for the first time ever, Challan didn't have much patience at all. Could you blame her? They were in an anxiety-driven situation after all. No one in the house had much patience as they prepared to wake up Will and attempt to get answers. They were all anxious; afraid. Challan was glad she wasn't the only one feeling this way.

She, Lucas, and Max were sitting in a hallway. Challan and Lucas sat side by side whilst Max sat across from them leaning against the opposite wall. The three friends were silent for a long while, all too pensive to say anything. Max had been the one to break their silence.

"If he finds out where we are... will he send those dogs after us?" She asked.

"He won't find out," Lucas stated so firmly and so surely that Challan almost believed him.

"Yeah, but, if he does..." Max said.

Lucas took a moment to respond. "Judgment day."

"That doesn't make me feel better at all, Lucas," Challan disclosed.

"We're gonna be okay," Lucas assured, placing his hand over her own and squeezing it. Max looked down at their hands and then up at Challan who was sending Lucas a smile. Max frowned and looked away from the two, annoyance bubbling up in her chest. Challan pulled her hand out from underneath Lucas's and crossed her arms over her chest, releasing a breath.

"I got invited to a sleepover," she randomly announced, an attempt to distract herself and them from what was happening around them. The two teens looked over at her. "I've never been to a sleepover before. Never been invited to one. I didn't think that I wanted to go but if we survive this, I think I'm gonna accept the invitation."

"You should, sleepovers are fun," Max muttered quietly, still feeling annoyed by Challan and Lucas holding hands. Why? She didn't know. He was just trying to comfort her. Lucas nodded his head along to Max's words.

"Sleepovers with your friends are the best," Lucas agreed.

Challan nodded, "We should have a sleepover."

"Really?" Lucas asked.

"Why not? It might be fun. Maybe you guys can teach me how to play Dungeons and Dragons," Challan shrugged.

"You'd be interested in that?" Lucas asked and she shrugged.

Max looked between the two and chuckled, her annoyance dissipating. "You guys are such dorks."

"You like it though," Challan teased.

"Yeah she does," Lucas agreed and Max rolled her eyes as Challan and Lucas chuckled. Their laughter ceased when the lights all throughout the house began flickering. They looked at each other in worry before standing up and walking to the window that showed them the shed from the kitchen. Eventually, the lights stopped flickering and Challan released the breath she was holding.