CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR. BABY'S FIRST DANCE

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR.
BABY'S FIRST DANCE

☆ミ ☆彡

THE SNOW BALL DANCE OCCURRED EVERY YEAR AT Hawkins Middle School. Challan had never attended the dance and never thought she would. In her mind, she would never have a date or friends that she could hang out with and she didn't want to go alone. So, she never went. But it was different this year.

This year, her last year in middle school, she would be going to the Snow Ball. Did she have a date? No. She and Max had been taking things slowly and decided that for their safety, it would be best if they didn't go together as anything more than friends. Challan was okay with that because she would be going with the party, which was just as good.

Challan looked over her appearance in the mirror, flattening down her light green dress for the tenth time. The sleeves had a little bit of a puff to them, which Challan wasn't sure she liked. The skirt of the dress flared and Challan didn't think it looked flattering at all. When she had gone to the thrift store and bought this dress, she had liked it then. But now, now she wanted to take it off and shred it.

She could admit that she was feeling a little self-conscious about her appearance because of Max. It's not that she wanted to impress the girl or anything. No, of course not. She just wanted to look and feel pretty. And maybe she wanted Max to think she looked pretty too.

Challan pushed her curls off her shoulder, eyes now scanning her hair. She at least liked the way her hair was styled. Her mom had pulled her curls into a half-up half-down hairstyle at the back of her head, using an intricate hair pin to keep it in place. Long, thin crystal chains shimmered down her hair, which really made it stand out.

Her bottom lip was between her teeth as she looked over her appearance again. It was too late to try and find another dress so with a sigh, she walked out of her bedroom and into the living room where her parents were waiting for her.

After telling her how beautiful she looked, the two began taking a myriad amount of pictures. Challan smiled for most of them but then she grew impatient and wanted to leave. Her father snapped one more picture before ushering her out of the house.

Challan slid into the backseat as her mother and father got into the passenger and driver's seats. The drive to the school was jovial and filled with light chatter and music. As time continued to tick by, her nerves lessened until they were nonexistent. When they arrived at the school, her parents reminded her when they would pick her up, told her to have fun, and practically shoved her out of the door. Challan was sure it was because they wanted to have some alone time and she was happy they would get it. They deserved it.

She walked through the doors of the school and walked to the gymnasium, her ticket clutched in her hand. She was greeted by Mr. Clarke who smiled at her and concealed his surprise at her being there. "Well don't you look darling. It's great to see you here."