CHAPTER SIX. THE AV CLUB

CHAPTER SIX.
THE AV CLUB

☆ミ ☆彡

"THE CASE OF PHINEAS GAGE IS ONE OF THE great medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident," Mr. Clarke was explaining to the class. Challan was in the process of taking notes, writing down everything he was saying, her hand moving furiously across her paper. Max glanced over at her a snickered quietly, shaking her head.

Mr. Clarke used a dry erase marker to draw a line through the skull image shown on the projector. "A large iron rod was driven completely through his head. Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was..."

"Pst."

Challan turned her head to the sound. "You know you don't have to write down every single thing he says, right?" Max whispered, fighting back an amused smile at how serious the shorter girl seemed to be in her note-taking.

Challan looked down at what she was writing and then back up at Max. "I don't want to miss anything important."

Max found herself chuckling softly before the two returned their attention to Mr. Clarke.

"...So much so that friends that knew him, started referring to him as 'No longer Gage.' At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a—"

Mr. Clarke was interrupted by the door being slammed open by Dustin Henderson who immediately apologized, sounding very out of breath.

"I am so sorry, Mr. Clarke. Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class," he panted.

Challan looked at Mr. Clarke expectantly, but Dustin continued speaking, all other eyes on him. "Really, continue, please. Thanks."

"Although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said," Mr. Clarke continued and Challan went back to writing her notes.

Challan hadn't noticed Dustin turning to the back where she and Max were sitting. He whispered something loudly to Max, who was the only one looking his way, Challan too busy writing something into her notebook.

"What's he saying?" Max whispered to Challan. The black-haired girl looked over at the redhead.

"Huh? Who?" She whispered back.

"Dustin," Mr. Clarke's voice interrupted their conversation, and also inadvertently answered her question. The two turned to the front.

"Yes, my lord?" Dustin remarked with a hint of a British accent as he turned back to Mr. Clarke.

"Would you care to join the class now?" Mr. Clarke questioned in annoyance.

"Please, yes," Dustin replied, pointing up at the man.

"The case of Phineas Gage."

"Phineas Gage," Dustin repeated.

"Page 104."