chapter 4

The outdoor pool arena was busy with both kids and adults in the summer heat. No sign of Billy. Phew.

"Alright, there are some free loungers." You girls settled down to sunbathe.

"God, I totally feel the burn. I'm so so pale. I really need this." Mia babbled. "It's like, no matter how much I try, I can never get a good tan. I have the worst genetics." 

You felt the sun being blocked by a shadow and opened your eyes to see Billy. Oh god. 

"Hi baby girl." 

ICK ICK ICK

"There's that bikini I asked about yesterday. Wow." 

 You instantly covered your body with a towel and sat up in the chair. "I thought he weren't working today?" You muttered to Mia.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I must've gotten confused.."

"Yeah, cause he's-"

"What, you're avoiding me? Ms (Y/L/N)! You didn't even say goodbye yesterday-" 

Mia interrupted as she crossed her legs. "You didn't say goodbye when you disappeared last night." 

Billy chewed his gum with a smile. "Yeah, uh, had to go home. Sorry about that, Mia." 

"It's fine!! You could've said goodbye that's all.." She whimpered and you stood up to walk away. "But it's fine and all-"

"So, you went home to Steve's, or?" Billy followed tightly after. 

"Not because it's any of your business but no, he just gave me a ride home, that's all." You muttered and avoided his gaze.

"You sure?" He leaned in to whisper, "With a pretty face like yours, I think anyone would want to get you home-"

"Billy, that's actually enough, literally shut up. You're acting super stupid and you're supposed to keep watch over the kids so they don't drown. Steve was just friendly unlike you." 

He held his hands up in front of him and waved with them, "Fine, fine. Sorry, (Y/N), you know I'm just joking."

"It's not funny." 

"I know, sorry. Okay? Sorry." 

Alright, he actually apologized, but you knew it wasn't sincere. "If you weren't employed here I would totally push you into the pool."

Billy smirked. "And if I wasn't employed, I'd-"

"I know that you're going to say something stupid, so let's just leave it at that. You have a good summer but, I'd rather go to Harrington's pool than to come here again." 

"So you went home with him?"

"No! I know he's got a pool, we're almost neighbors. But I mean it, Billy. I mean it when I say no to you." You turned around to go back to the girls. You understood that there was a reason for Billy's asshole personality and that's why he had been so problematic since he came, but it wasn't an excuse. Your past only made you kind and emphatic, not the opposite. Anyway. You wanted to go home, now.

A few more days passed and you managed to sleep in to at least 11AM everyday. Nice. You needed that. You started your daily routine with a shower and then a cup of coffee as you did your makeup.

Plans for today:

- go to starcourt mall and get ice cream at robin's job
- avoid everyone and everything else

You really liked hanging out with Robin. She was funny and sarcastic, the two of you always made each other laugh and it felt awesome that you had become friends. She would've never put up with some of your other friends and honestly, Mia's behavior over the last few days gave you a bit of secondhand embarrassment. You did try to tell Mia off whenever she got a bit too over the line but it was easier to just, not hang out with her that much anymore. This last spring term you had really not hung out that much outside of school. Sarah was a bit kinder and relaxed to be around, but Mia would freak out if you two did something without her. You were well-aware of how scared Mia was to be abandoned and how much she actually adored you, but you two really really had grown apart. And you did not want to associate with mean girls. Just like you never wanted to hang out with high school douchebag boys.