chapter 10

The room started dropping. Just like your stomach. You were going down. The room was going down. Underground. You screamed in surprise and lost your balance, almost falling onto Steve behind you. He caught you with his arm around your belly and pressed you close as he leaned against the wall behind.

"Oh shit." Steve said as you both realized that it must be an elevator cause you could see lamps flashing by as you went further and further down.

Everyone started screaming hysterically.

"We're going down, we're going down!" Steve shouted in your neck.

"Yeah, no shit, Harrington!" You yelled back.

"Why don't these buttons work?" Dustin was still pushing them all. "They won't work, nothings working!" Erica tried too.

Until the room abruptly stopped freefalling. You all stumbled to the ground by the change of force, you on Steve's lap.

"My groint. You fell on my groint." He wheezed in your ear. Ouch.

"Shit." You instantly stood up and offered a hand to pull him up. He grunted.

"Is everyone okay?" You asked.

"Yeah, I'm great, now that I know that Russians can't design elevators!" Steve yelled as he headed back to the stupid cabinet with the stupid buttons.

"I think we've established that those buttons don't work." You snapped back.

"They're buttons. They have to do something."

"Yeah, if we had a key-card!" You walked over to him and gestured at the buttons.

"A what?" He looked up at you with big eyes.

"It's an electric lock." Robin muttered.

"Same as the loading dock door, if we don't have a key-card, it won't operate, meaning--"

"It won't open." Dustin finished your sentence.

Steve aggressively shut the metal cabinet and leaned on some carton boxes in front of him with his arms up on the edge.

"Just so you nerds are aware, I'm supposed to be spending the night at Tina's, and Tina always covers for me." Erica said with her sassy tone. "But if I'm not home for Uncle Jack's party tomorrow, and my mom finds out that you four are responsible, she's gonna hunt you down, one by one, and slit your throat." She threatened. 

"I don't care about Tina!" Steve yelled. "Or Uncle Jack's party! Your mom's not gonna be able to find us if we're dead in a Russian elevator!" He motioned with his hands in the air. 

"Hey. What if we climb out?" Dustin suggested. There was a trapdoor in the roof. You were the first one to go up there, then Dustin and last Steve. 

You exhaled sharply as you looked up. The darkness was endless. You must've been thousands of feet below the mall. 

"What were you saying about climbing?" Steve's question echoed in the walls. Dustin jumped down again without a word, to tell Robin and Erica about how stuck you actually were.

Steve dropped to his knees by the hatch but hesitated and closed it instead, leaving you two on the roof of the elevator. He sat down. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah.. How's your... balls?" You thought about the fall on his groint and he chuckled as you sat down beside him. "Sorry 'bout that." You also thought about the way he had grabbed you and held you close to protect you from getting hurt. He must've thought about it as well cause you could see his cheeks glowing. 

He cleared his throat. "There must be another way out."

"I mean. We gotta take another look at the buttons tomorrow. Don't you think someone'll come for the delivery?"