CHAPTER 5: JASON

Man, Texas drivers are ridiculous. I must say though, Californians are the worst. I'm glad my new place in Illinois has a more peaceful environment since it's in in a more rural area rather than the city. I'm actually pretty excited for the "country" change.

I start to merge right to the exit for Frisco on 75. Well, I guess it's time to see these kiddos again. After hanging out with these youngsters and being friends for a little over two years now, sometimes I forget I'm the oldest in the group. They all make me feel young again and sometimes I'm able to forget I'm a few years away from forty.

I pull out my phone and call Kimi. Damn, I need to set up my Bluetooth in this damn car already. I bought a brand-new Jeep Wrangler before starting my process in moving to Illinois from California.

My divorce finalized about 6 months ago and this house was supposed to be for both my ex-wife and I. Guess she had a different view for the future.

Kimi didn't answer the first time, so I tried again as I entered into her apartment's entrance. It rings twice then someone finally answers.

"Hello?" Why the hell is Julius answering Kimi's phone?

"Julius...where's Ki..mi? Why do you have her ph..one?" Ugh, I hate my stutter. Why Do I stutter during a dad moment?

Julius laughs. "She was in the bathroom taking a shit so I answered."

"Jason don't listen to him! I was outside talking to Dante, are you almost here?" Kimi's voice sounded distant over the phone. Julius must have had it on speaker.

"Yeah, I'm here. Apartment 6117 right?"

"Yup. Door will be unlocked. We're all in the living room. The Triplets said they'd meet us there in..."

Marigold cuts off Kimi. "Wait! You guys' texted Jason to meet us at Chilli's, not here. Remember! He was originally supposed to come here but Dante probably forgot to text him the new plans!"

"I did! He just didn't check it" Dante exclaims in the background.

"Well, I'm already about to pull around so I'll...see you guys in a bit."

I hang up the phone and place it in my cupholder. These kids are always a handful when they get together. Sometimes I really do feel like their father in some moments. It's okay though, they are a good bunch.

I turn my wrangler around the corner. Man, Kimi's apartment complex is huge. Her inheritance really kept her stable. On top of her doing streaming, working full-time, and in college, she really has her stuff together. I'm so proud of her. We all are.

As I'm passing building 5, I look to the left of my peripheral vision, and I witness Amy stepping out of someone's apartment. I slow down my wrangler and try to not make it obvious with staring. Wait a minute, who the hell does she know in Texas besides Kimi and her brother?

I continue to drive pass building 5 to get to Kimi's building. I finally spot an open visitor park space and drive my wrangler to it. As I back up and then shift to park, I turn off the ignition. Hold on, isn't Kimi's brother in the same apartment complex but has his own place? 

Oh god. Don't tell me I'm witnessing the after action of an affair? No. I'm staying out of it. I'm too old for these young people scandals. I'll just leave it be for now.

I get out of the car, fix my fedora in the visor mirror, and then approach Kimi's door. Man, is this where she found the dead cat? Before I could open the door, I was greeted by Julius and Dante.

"Yo brotha, Long time no see!" I go in for a firm handshake to the boys and they both bring me in for a "man hug."

"Hey troublemakers, I'm hungry. You know the big guy always wants his food!"