Baskin Robbins

For the first time all summer, me and Eddie are both off of work this whole weekend.
We've been planning on how to spend our time together and he's been insistent upon going to Baskin Robbins "for an authentic summer experience."
"Aren't all experiences in the summer technically authentic summer experiences?" I asked.
He looked at me and pouted.
"No. Maybe. You know what don't kill my buzz, I'm feeling high on life right now and all I want is ice cream, leave me alone."
***
Once we got in the car to head to Baskin Robbins, we discovered on the GPS that the closest one was 35 minutes away. Upon seeing this, Eddie groaned loudly and flopped dramatically down in his seat.
"Drama queen," I muttered.
He glared at me and smacked my thigh.
"Shut up, let me have this."
"A tantrum?" I asked, laughing.
He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, slouching even further down into his seat.
"You wouldn't be able to slump so pitifully like that if you put your seatbelt on, which is what I've been waiting for by the way."
His brow furrowed and he pulled himself up, looking out the window.
"Wait we haven't moved yet?"
"How did you not notice that?"
He opened his mouth to defend himself but I waved my hand to dismiss his incoming comment.
"You know what never mind just buckle up and we'll go."
He grunted and obliged. Giving him a corny smile, I patted his knee and started the car.
"There ya go, champ. Nice job."
He snorted and reached over to crank the radio up for our long journey.
***
We finally pulled into the BR parking lot and Eddie was practically vibrating in his seat waiting for me to park.
"Bro you act like you've never had ice cream in your life. We had some like two weeks ago for Janine's birthday, remember?"
He switched off the radio and looked at me with the utmost sincerity.
"Exactly. Two whole weeks ago. I've been deprived for 14 days and 11 hours and I shan't be deprived another second!"
With the speed of light Eddie hopped out of the car and bolted through the door, nearly knocking over a disgruntled teenager.
I shook my head, loving and hating how goofy Eddie was.
I hopped out myself and walked at a reasonable pace into the shop after him, holding the door on my way in for a little boy who ran in almost as excited as Eddie, crumpled dollar bills poking out of his pocket.
I caught up with Eddie inside and it was all I could manage to keep him from pressing his face up against the glass covering the ice cream.
"Babe R E L A X. You could not get any closer to that sorbet even if you tried."
He smirked and held his hands up in surrender, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and pulling me into him.
"Screw the sorbet! I wanna get closer to you sweetheart," he drawled, squeezing me tighter and practically holding me hostage so he could cover my face in kisses.
I squealed and the teenager behind the counter made a face like they wanted to vomit. Realizing we were literally being that couple in a public place, I gingerly removed Eddie's arm and ignored his look of betrayal.
"Stop embarrassing me in front of the staff of Baskin Robbins."
"Oh fuck that. Excuse me folks but if you all have a problem with me smooching my partner, take your bitter ass and go download a dating app in the bathroom or some shit," he yelled, disturbing the entire shop.
Almost immediately he wrapped his arms around my waist before I could walk away and pretend I didn't know him and rested his chin on my shoulder to look at the ice cream choices. I protested but the kids behind the counter looked less uncomfortable and more entertained so I decided to let it slide.

After a minute of waiting for the people in front of us to order, the same kid who looked like they wanted us to vacate the premises moments before Eddie's outburst sighed heavily and directed their attention to me and Eddie.
"What can I get you guys today?"
With zero hesitation Eddie blurted,
"Large mint shake with a shit load of Oreos, comrade. Like I'm talking all the ones left in there," he pointed at the container of cookie crumbles behind the counter, his face deathly serious.
The kid shrugged and began dumping the cookies into a cup.
As they began scooping the ice cream, I felt a tap on my pants and looked down to see the little boy from earlier, though he was probably 8 or so now that I got a closer look.
I smiled at him, a little confused. He pointed his thumb at Eddie mouthing, "Weirdo," and began tugging on the chain linked to Eddie's belt.
Eddie took his head off my shoulder to look at the kid, who immediately made a face at him and said, "You shouldn't get mint. It's gross. Like eating toothpaste."
Eddie laughed, impressed by the kids boldness more than he was annoyed at being touched by a child. Releasing me, Eddie crinkled his brow and smirked down at the boy with folded arms.
"Uhh okay buddy. Hey so where's your mom? You look a little young to be here by yourself, don't you think?"
The kid sneered and looked Eddie up and down.
"Aren't you a little old to be playing dress up?"
Eddie looked down at his outfit and sighed.
He had decided to wear his skull belt today and his Corroded Coffin shirt, which was red with white bleached streaks that looked a bit like stripes. I tried holding in my laugh when Eddie looked at me in defeat.
"Do I really look like a pirate?"
"...maybe a little."
He huffed and turned his attention back to the kid.
"So here's the thing buddy," he said, bending over and placing a hand on the kid's shoulder.
"I'm a grown-up so I can do pretty much whatever I want, including dress up. I can also eat whatever I want and pay for it with my own money, not money my mommy gave me."
The kid reached into his pocket and pulled out the money, waving it at Eddie.
"This is my money. I did chores for it!"
Eddie chuckled menacingly and patted the kid's shoulder.
"That's cute. Tell me kiddo, did your parents ever tell you it's not a good idea to talk to strangers cuz they could be dangerous?"
As I finished ordering my ice cream I heard that last sentence and sensed he was about to do something especially heinous to this bratty kid if I didn't stop him.

"Eddie," I warned, "It's time to pay now. Please go wait at the counter over there."
The kid smirked and waggled his fingers mockingly at Eddie.
"Yeah Eddie. Go stand over there."
Eddie tilted his head and narrowed his eyes, squinting menacingly at this remarkably bold child.
"You know what you little fucker? I'm gonna ignore you and enjoy my mint ice cream that does not taste like toothpaste cuz I'm a goddamn adult and my tastebuds are smarter than yours."
I held in my laugh and squeezed his hand to calm him down. After a moment he took a deep breath and walked to the counter to pay.
The kid stood on his tiptoes and leaned as far as he could onto the display case as he ordered, his breath fogging up the glass.
This whole interaction is free birth control if anyone ever needed it in my opinion.
***
We opened the trunk of the car and sat in the back to enjoy some shade with the summer air. As we sat enjoying our treats, Eddie suddenly turned to me and said, "Do I really look like a pirate or were you just egging the kid on?"
I choked a little at that and he rolled his eyes.
"Of course you were. Great."
I started laughing and he huffed dramatically.
"So glad to know you have my back in these situations, babe. I am just jazzed to know my significant other will patronize me for the entertainment of a little shrimp with sticky hands. Just perfect."
I put my cup in my lap and put an arm around his shoulder, pulling his close.
He resisted, pretending to be mad. Reaching down, I tugged at his shirt and lifted it up a little.
"You know if you really don't wanna look like a pirate you're probably gonna have to take this off."
He looked at me and smirked.
"Oh yeah?"
He set his cup down and grabbed the back of his shirt, pulling it over his head and off his body in one swift motion.
I smiled and eyed his body, letting my eyes rest on his happy trail. He followed my gaze and grinned widely, reaching over and putting my cup down next to his in the cup holders.
Liking where this was going, I leaned back onto the folded seats and Eddie climbed on top of me, kissing my neck and down along my collar bones.
His lips were cold but as he made his way down my chest he started using his tongue, which was warm. The contrast felt weirdly good and I had to remind myself we were in public before he tempted me too much.
"The trunk is open! People can see us," I hissed.
He had pulled my shirt up and was kissing my stomach when I tugged on his hair to get him to focus on my words.
He looked up and grinned deviously.
"You know you can't do that and expect me not to give you a real reason to push my head away."
My stomach fluttered a little at his words but I kept my composure.
"Fuck off, don't tease me right now. Wait until we get home. Please?"
He started kissing my stomach again, running his hands up my arms and pinning my wrists.
He bent over me and smiled at my reaction to him. Looking into my eyes, he tilted his head and gave me mocking puppy eyes.
"But I thought you liked it when I tease you."
Stomach flutters again.
That's what I loved about Eddie among many things. Even though we knew each other's bodies really well, he always found ways to surprise and excite me when I least expected it.
I grinned and wiggled underneath him, signaling that it was time to get off me.
"Fineeee. I'll just have to remind you later tonight how much you love my teasing."
I smiled and he released my wrists. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I kissed him and he sat up pulling me with him.
We finally let go of one another and pulled the seats back up, throwing our empty cups away and hopping back into the front seats for our journey home.
Eddie rested his hand on my thigh as I drove and drew lazy absent-minded circles as he looked out the window at the trees whizzing by.
God I loved him. More than I ever thought I could love anyone, actually. Love takes a special kind of person I guess. Glad Eddie's a special kind of guy.
"I hate that fucking kid."
Annnnd there it is.
Like I said, he's a special guy.