PetSmart

Eddie practically bulldozed through the front door and knocked into me. I had been putting his shoes on the shoe rack that he refused to use for some reason and in his frenzied state he hadn't noticed me. I stumbled and he finally snapped out of it, looking at me with concern as I grabbed the wall for support.
"Oh shit babe, what happened?"
I stared at him open-mouthed.
"Literally you happened. Now," I stood up and put my hands on his shoulders to steady him.
"Calm your little manic ass down and explain what caused you to almost take me out WWE smackdown style.
He smiled widely and I could feel him getting jittery again.
Whatever it is I have a feeling I'll have to hear about for the next hour minimum.

He sat me down on the couch and put my hands in his.
"Can we go to PetSmart today? Like preferably now?"
I arched a brow at him.
"Why?"
He grinned even wider and squeezed my hands.
"Pleaseeee? It'll be worth it I promise."
"It's a pet store Eddie. You know who goes to pet stores? People with pets," I gestured around the room highlighting the fact that we didn't have a single animal to call our own.
He nodded frantically.
"Okay true but that's why we should go. I was at work and my buddy Ryan was telling me about this event they do at PetSmart sometimes where shelters set up playpens and bring puppies to the store so more people can see and adopt them! It sounded super cool PLUS who doesn't love puppies?"
I smiled and shrugged.
"Huh. Shit okay, I guess I can't argue with puppies."
He grabbed my face with both hands and looked at me with sparkling eyes.
"So can we go?"
I nodded and grinned.
"Fuck yeah. Let's go pet some puppies."
He gave me a kiss and jumped off the couch, tugging my arm.
"Okay then come onnnn let's see some hustle babe. Those puppies aren't gonna pet themselves!"

***

Going anywhere, especially busy places, was an event in itself with Eddie. His attention span was pretty short and he was easily distracted at all hours of the day. Plus he had recently developed a mildly obsessive love for animals that I didn't expect from him.
I mean everyone likes animals but he's never really expressed the desire to have one until recently...and it has been constant.
The moment we stepped into PetSmart and he spotted the reptiles up front I knew we would be spending the next few hours here.

"Oh shit! Look at that guy," he pointed at a baby bearded dragon sitting under its heat lamp.
"He's totally just vibing out right now. Respect," he added, holding a fist up to the glass as if the lizard would give him a fist bump back.
I looked next to the beardies and saw a pretty snake coiled around a fake plant. Admiring the scales and the pattern, I zoned out until Eddie tapped me on the shoulder.
"Baby can we get him?"
I looked at where he was pointing and it was the same little dragon from earlier except now he was pressed up against the glass near Eddie's finger.
"Watch him, he did this cool thing just a second ago. I bet he'll do it again hold on just watch."
Eddie took his fingers away from the glass and waved slowly at the lizard.
Side-eyeing him, I wondered if he looked like as much of an oddball to anyone else as he did to me right now.
I looked back at the bearded dragon and was surprised to see the lizard waving his arm back at Eddie.
"Woah. Are you guys friends now or something? What does that mean in lizard code?"
Eddie smiled and shrugged, still waving at the lizard.
"I have no idea but I love him and I want him to wave at me forever from my bedside table."
I shook my head and laughed.
"Okay 1) I'm sure that table would be too little for him in like a month. 2)You don't know how to take care of a lizard and 3) Bearded dragons live for like fifteen+ years or something."
Eddie's eyes widened and he stopped waving.
"Well damn. That motherfucker might outlive me."
I waved a hand derisively and directed him towards the back of the store.
"Always one for the dramatics. Forget about the lizards though babe! We came here for the puppies anyways so let's go pet 'em!"

He smiled and let me lead the way to the puppy pens. Their little yips got louder as we approached and the moment we stepped up to the first pen a black and white puppy threw itself into the bars by Eddie's feet, clawing at them trying to get to him. Looking at me wide eyed, Eddie bent down and started tapping his fingers on the ground through the bars for the puppy to play with. The puppy was determined to nibble every single one of Eddie's fingers and every few seconds Eddie would mutter an "ow you little shit."
I tapped his shoulder and pointed to one of the other pens.
"I'm gonna go check those babies out."
He nodded and continued playing with the puppy, booping its nose whenever he got the chance.