Chapter Five

Standing outside of the RV, Catelyn can hear Carol crying within it. There is no way any of them are getting any sleep. So Catelyn chooses to stand at the edge of the road and taps her fingers on her bow in her hand as she contemplates going out there on her own. Especially without telling anyone that she's going. Her mother would kill her for that. During the day, it's fine, but this is the night. This is the dark and monsters are roaming. There are boot steps behind her, someone is approaching her. But it's not the shuffle of a walker so she isn't worried about it. There is the flicker of a flashlight beam that hits her face, causing her to shift on her feet, turning her head away from the bright light. Though it's not meant to be invasive. They are checking her face, just in case. When the light is lowered, she casts a glance behind her to find Daryl.

"I'm gonna walk the road, look for the girl" She turns her head back to the trees. "Figured if you can't sleep either" She hums in agreement before she turns to him. Looks over him. He's carrying his crossbow in one hand, his flashlight in the other. He's probably carrying a knife or two. He's bigger than her. That sets off alarm bells in her head, especially with the idea of going off into the dark alone with him. She steps closer to him.

"I will kick your ass" She points out. "If you try anything" He looks rather amused with the concept but nods. He holds out the flashlight and she takes it, he pulls a second one from his pocket, turning it on. He motions with his flashlight down the right side of the road.

"We'll start down that way"

......

In the woods, Catelyn holds her bow ready, an arrow knocked, just in case it is needed. Beside her, Daryl has his crossbow held up. They are being cautious because the dark is when they get them. They move, slowly, but they move through the undergrowth, careful of their steps. She thought it would feel uncomfortable. Being in such proximity of a man on her own, but other than feeling a little unsure, she doesn't get that vibe from Daryl. She should, he's kind of scary looking. Kind of like a wild man. And that should make her nervous. Wild usually means unpredictable. But then again, Jack was a military man. As organised as they come. She shakes her head, not really wanting to think about him, she needs to focus on what she's doing.

"You don't seem to think like the others" She voices, Daryl pulls a face and looks at her. "About the girl..." She elaborates. "You really think you're gonna find her...."

"Yeah, and you got that look on your face" He shines his flashlight on her face as she turns her head a little. "Same as everybody else. We just started looking" He turns the light forward and she tilts her head in question. "It ain't the mountains of Tibet. It's Georgia" He continues on and she follows. "She could be holed up in a farmhouse somewhere. People get lost and they survive. It happens all the time"

"She's just a kid" She argues. Kids that got lost before this shit show ended up dead, now, with the walkers, she truly thinks that they won't find her, and if they do, she ain't going to be alive.

"Hell, I was younger than her and I got lost" He argues. "Nine days in the woods eating berries, wiping my ass with poison oak"

"They found you though?" She asks, he glances back at her, slowing to allow her to catch up.

"My old man was off on a bender with some waitress. Merle...my brother...was doing another stint in juvie. Didn't even know I was gone. I made my way back though. Went straight into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. No worse for wear. Except my ass itched something awful" He offers and glances at her as they start walking again. Catelyn fights a smile. She really does, but there is something about that story that is kind of funny to her. She lets out a chuckle and Daryl smirks to himself. She's then full-blown laughing. It's probably a mix of it being so long since she's laughed, and the story, she just can't help it.

"I'm sorry" She rushes out. Uncomfortable that she's laughing like this in front of this stranger. She doesn't even know where it came from, it wasn't all that funny. "I don't...." She takes a deep breath and stops herself. She closes her eyes and counts to ten slowly before she opens them again. Her laughter is gone. She turns a look at Daryl. "That is a terrible story," She tells him, he hums a little and they share a look, Catelyn is the first to look away.

"Only difference is Sophia's got people looking for her" He offers. "I call that an advantage" She lets out a breath and turns back to him.

"Guess that makes her one very lucky little girl" She whispers and walks on ahead. Daryl follows behind her.

"And yet you still don't think we're going to find her" He adds, she glances over her shoulder at him.

"I think we will...." She argues. "I just don't think any of you are going to like it when we do" She admits, he knows what she's saying. That she thinks that a walker got her and that they are going to find that little girl craving for flesh like the rest of them.

"You're kind of a downer, you know that?" He asks, she snorts and nods, more to herself. It's the end of the world, she doesn't think that warrants sunshine and rainbows and puppy dogs and all that shit. Within a few steps, and over a fallen tree, the two of them come across a tent. Daryl turns his light and finds a walker, hanging from the tree branches behind them. "What the hell?" He draws off and moves closer, Catelyn stepping up behind him as he reads from a note stabbed into the tree trunk. "Got bit" Daryl reads. "Fever hit. World gone to shit. Might as well quit." Daryl snorts and leans back. "Dumbass didn't know enough to shoot himself in the head. Turned himself into a big swinging piece of bait. And a mess" He shines the light on what is left of its leg, it's all bone now.

"Mhm..." Catelyn stares up at the walker before turning her attention to the tent, she doubts it but she's going to look to see if there is anything worth salvaging. She slings her bow onto her back and takes the knife from her thigh as she approaches the tent. She pushes aside the flap door but there is nothing inside, just a sleeping bag and a bag of clothes that probably won't fit any of the others if that walker is anything to go by. She pulls back. Daryl turns to look at her.

"Anything?" He asks, she shakes her head and tucks her knife away again, pulling her bow from her back. "How'd you learn to shoot anyway?" He asks. "Assuming that you can use that thing and it's not just for decoration" She knocks an arrow and shoots the hanging walker straight in the head without really looking at it. Daryl raises an eyebrow at the walker and then turns to Catelyn.

"Four-time California state champion and three-time Georgia state champion" She explains. "Bit out of practice though" Daryl scoffs.

"That's out of practice?" He asks her, motioning to the now-dead dead guy hanging from the tree.

"I was aiming for his eye" She argues and walks away. He snorts and then smirks a little, shaking his head before he follows her.