Chapter Nineteen

Back at the Farmhouse, Catelyn slides down the wall and closes her eyes. She needs to check on Carl and Daryl but she's exhausted. She stayed out later than she intended to because she made a promise. She intended to keep her word. But she saw no sign of Sophia. Now her legs ache, her back aches, and she's chilled through despite the early sunshine and warmer temperature. Daryl sits at her side, setting a backpack next to him, and lets out a breath. Can see it went as well for her as it did for all the others that went out to look for her.

"You should be resting" She comments without looking at him. He snorts a little and shrugs even though she can't see him.

"You should rest" He counters, she smirks into her knees and hums in agreement. She should have gone straight to her tent to rest but she wanted to do her duty as a medic first. Drilled into her that the patient's well-being is of the utmost importance. Daryl reaches around to pick up the backpack.

"Here" He moves it around them to set it in front of her. "Supplies you asked for" She lifts her head and glances at the bag. It appears that Glenn got a decent amount of her list. A whole backpack worth. She hums a little and then glances at Daryl.

"I need to check your stitches"

"My stitches are fine" He assures her as he pushes himself to his feet with a small groan.

"Do you have medical training?" She counters, he pulls a face and looks down at her as she raises an eyebrow at him. He huffs.

"No" He answers, she hums and gives him a look. He rolls his eyes and then wanders back to his room to wait for her to join him. Catelyn shakes her head and pulls the bag closer to her to check what Glenn managed to get her. He did warn her that it was a small pharmacy so chances are that it isn't going to be very much. But anything will help. They are going to have to start improvising on some things. She pulls open the bag and rummages through it. Bandages. Pain killers. Band aids. Medical disinfectant. Pill bottles with all sorts of medication in. Dental floss, which can work for stitches, but there is also a roll of embroidery thread. Glenn seemed to understand supplies in the same way she does. That anything and everything can be used. There are t-shirts and dish towels in the bag too, which can be used for gauze in a pinch. It's enough, for now. She might take a look at that map and find the nearest hospital or doctor's practice or even a veterinary place. The supplies will be very similar. Enough to work. There might still come a day when they will run out of things. That even the substitutions will run out. She sighs and picks up the bag as she pushes herself to her feet. She'll check on Carl first, then Daryl.

......

Later, Daryl's eyes track Catelyn as she packs away the supplies she used to re-bandage the wound on his side. The stitches were fine, but he had seeped through the bandage. So she changed it with a scolding look the whole time, because she knew he didn't sit still. She tilts her head as she spies a book on the bedside table, worn and weathered but still in good condition. She picks it up with a small smile. It's one of those cheesy smutty novels similar to the Danielle Steel books. She glances at Daryl as he pulls his shirt over his head.

"Interesting choice" She comments as she looks over the back of the book. Daryl adjusts his shirt and shrugs.

"Not exactly a library of choice here" He comments and she sets the book down. "End of the world and only the steamy romance survive" He adds, she snorts a little and hums setting the book down again. "Andrea gave it to me" He adds, defending the choice of book.

"Is it any good?" She asks him. He shrugs a little and pulls a face. She chuckles softly, surprising herself and him. "Must be if you kept reading" She comments and gives him a look. He snorts and looks away from her, caught out. Catelyn grabs her bag. "You'll have to let me know how it ends" She offers as she opens the door to leave. "And get some rest" He hums, acknowledging her before turning to watch her leave.

.......

Catelyn leaves the farmhouse, ready to head to bed. She is just so tired that she feels like she might actually sleep tonight. It's been such a long time since she has felt this way. Since she has felt tired enough to crash where she stands. Not since her student days. Glenn is at her side faster than she can even hear him coming. Catelyn glances at him as she hikes the backpack of supplies up to her shoulder.

"I need to tell you something" Glenn comments as he walks alongside Catelyn as she heads towards her tent, not slowing down for him at all.

"Can it wait until morning?" She asks him, he shakes his head and moves to stand in front of her, stopping her. She immediately backs up from him, turning her body defensively. He clears his throat, quickly catching on.

"No" He answers. "It can't wait....You're like a doctor, right? A proper doctor?"

"Fourth-year medical student" She argues. "What's going on? Did you get hurt?" He shakes his head and glances around to make sure no one is listening or watching them. Catelyn frowns not really seeing where this is going. He's being way too shifty about this. Her face then drops. "If this is a sexual issue..." Glenn snaps his head around to look at her. "Then I didn't have that kind of training.....talk to Daryl, I'm sure his brother had something that will help clear it up"

"What?" Glenn squeaks out. "No, no...that's not...." He groans and rubs at his eyes before he takes a deep breath to calm himself down. "Lori's pregnant..." Catelyn blinks slightly. "I thought you might...I don't know...." Glenn mumbles. "Have some advice"

"Lori's had a baby already" Catelyn reminds him. "She already knows how this goes, she doesn't need some student telling her how babies work"

"Well, I don't know, I just needed to get it out!" Glenn panics a little, as if holding in this secret has been physically painful for him. Catelyn raises an eyebrow. "I'm not very good at keeping secrets" Glenn admits. Catelyn hums a little and tilts her head.

"I'll talk to her" She offers. Whilst she can bring it up with Lori, she is not about to tell the woman how to carry a baby when she has already done so and produced Carl, a very healthy and vibrant young boy. She clearly did something right with him.