- ꕤ 4: CONFUSION

Y/N? Y/N!

Those screams lingered in your mind for the rest of the night. Though you tried your best to doze off, the repeating noise echoed in your dreams.

You rubbed your eyes, feeling drowsy from the lack of rest. Yesterday was tiring as it was traumatizing. The scenes replayed in your mind like a film. If it weren't for that Adeptus, your life would have been cut short.

Though, perhaps that would have been the easier way out.

Waking up reminded you that you were still in an unfamiliar world with your memories wiped. Just the thought of it brings an unsettling pit in your stomach. You knew nobody but that Adeptus — and even he didn't bother talking to you. In addition, your leg and nose still hurt. Though the pain has lessened, thankfully.

You lay on your bed, desiring to stay in its comfort for the rest of the day. Might as well unwind while you're here instead of stressing over your new reality. You put an arm over your eyes to block out the sunlight.
When they fluttered shut, someone suddenly knocked on the door. You jumped from the sudden sound, your heart rate accelerating.

"H–Hold on!" You stuttered, gathering your clothes from the table and putting them on. You limped towards the door, feeling the coolness of your once-wet garments.

Upon opening the door, you were met by the lady from the front desk, smiling at you.

"Good thing you're awake! Xiao asked us to check up on you before he left."

Xiao...?

"Come down later if you're hungry, we have some food prepared!" She said. Without a moment to thank her, the woman closed the door. Your mouth was left hanging as you blinked, baffled.

It seemed that everyone and everything around here had no time to waste. Things moved without ever stopping, leaving you behind. It sort of felt... lonely.

You had to learn the ways of this world, and quickly. If not, you'll be stuck in an endless spiral as the world kept moving. You mustn't get left behind.

You followed the woman's words, dressing up and making your way outside. Half of your jumpsuit was worn, the sleeves wrapped around your waist. As you exit your room, you could see a view of your surroundings. When it wasn't raining, this place surely was beautiful.

You made your way downstairs, seeing the woman from earlier and another man talking.

"Oh, you're here!" She waved. "This is my husband, Huai'an. And I am Verr Goldet, the boss of this place." She properly introduced herself with a smile, carefully shaking your hand. It felt nice to know more than one familiar face now.

"Let's eat!"

You sat down with the two, a bigger man making his way to join as well. He carried multiple plates and bowls of food, settling himself next to you.

"That is Smiley Yanxiao. He's the chef around here — so if you have anything you want to eat, he's your guy."

You gave the man a timid smile, bowing your head slightly. He seemed rather rigid but he was actually quite warm. That was a nice contrast.

"They will be staying with us for a while, as per Xiao's request. Treat them well, okay?"

With that, breakfast began. You enjoyed your meal quietly, feeling the warmth of the broth enter your stomach. You didn't realize how hungry you were until you had your first bite.

Once the two men finished eating, they left you and Verr Goldet alone. The boss sipped on her tea, giving you a knowing look.

"So, what's your name?" She asks.

"Y/N L/N."

"Where are you from?"

In a secluded area, an Adeptus leaned against the wall as he listened in. Naturally, he was curious to know more about the stranger he had let into this inn. If you were a threat, he wouldn't hesitate to get rid of you. It was his duty to protect, after all.

"I... I don't know." You started, your hands starting to fidget. "I don't know where I'm from, I just know I'm not from here. I can feel that I'm not... from this world." You answered truthfully.

"I woke up and suddenly I was here with all my memories gone. The Adeptus from last night saved me and brought me here. He's the reason I'm still alive."

"Adeptus? Do you mean Xiao?" Verr Goldet questioned. Your eyes widened.

"So that's his name? Well... it suits him." You muttered, repeating his name in your head.

Xiao, Xiao, Xiao... Don't forget his name.

"So your memories are wiped? Fascinating..." The woman mused, leaning back on her chair as she crossed her arms.

Xiao, who had heard enough, sighed. You were from another world, just like the Traveler. It seems he's fated to encounter such people nowadays.

"Y/N, huh?" He huffed, leaving the inn in an instant.

🍃

For the rest of the day, Verr Goldet gave you a tour of the inn. Usually, her husband does that task, but she felt obliged to do it for you. You thought it was quite sweet of her.

During the tour, one location truly stuck with you. The charm point of the whole place, which the balcony on the very top floor.

It was quiet and scenic, a perfect spot to collect your thoughts.

You also heard that Xiao likes to stay there most of the time. No wonder — he seemed like the type of guy who liked being alone. Regardless, you needed to thank him for everything thus far.

And so, you made your way to the balcony of Wangshu Inn. You breathed in the air of what Verr Goldet said was Dihua Marsh. You stood close to the railings, leaning towards it.

Though you were still confused and afraid, you felt a lot better than earlier.

It helped to know more than one person around here. And it was a bonus that they were so kind to you. This world may have been scary at first, but you'll get used to it. Eventually... Hopefully...

You looked down at your watch, seeing that it was still 'Reconnecting' like yesterday.

"What even is this Otto Project... L/N Science Facility? So many questions." You groaned, burying your head in your arms. Something told you this watch had answers, but you couldn't get them until it reconnected. Wherever or whoever it's trying to connect back to...

Exhaustion hit you for a moment, prompting you to sit in a corner nearby. You were told that guests don't come out here so you felt comfortable just lounging around.

You hugged your knees, trying to hear your heartbeat.

"Where is that Xiao? I wonder when he'll get back." You muttered.

There was a sense of comfort in being able to talk to yourself.

"The air is so cold..."

Your eyes slowly shut themselves tight.

Soon, you found yourself worn out and unconscious. The winds howled in your ears as you stayed still, letting yourself rest. Perhaps your answers will be solved soon? You wanted to cling onto hope. So you slept, lost in your thoughts to come back home.

🍃

OMG I FINALLY UPDATED? woah.
school has been so stressful, but most of the harder tasks are done! i've been a little free these past couple of days so i thought to write.

i might update again later or tomorrow, but know that i won't disappear for two weeks again <3 a little life update but i got tickets for a cosplay con and im going as childe but fem hoho.

AND HAPPY 1K TO THIS BOOK!!

OK THAT'S ALL :D
LOVE YOU GUYS !!