- ꕤ 19: LANTERNS

Night arrived.

The sun had descended below the mountains and sea as the moon took its place in the twilight sky.

From the distance, in the city's direction, you could hear the festivities ongoing. Though Liyue Harbor was quite far from the Wangshu Inn, in the heat of a celebration, no noise could ever be concealed.

You stayed on the balcony, eyes locked onto the precipices of Jueyun Karst. In the back of your mind, you wondered if Xiao was there at present. It is Adepti's abode, and he wasn't here quite yet. If not there, perhaps he's spending his time conquering demons. As expected.

Even during a holiday that celebrates heroes like him, he continues to fight. On a day that he should feel he can lay down his armor, he cannot do so.

You knew it was his duty as a Yaksha... But you felt quite sad about it. He should be able to rest too!

"Y/N! Come set the table with us." Verr Goldet called from the staircase. Your heart wished to stay glued to the balcony, wait for Xiao a little longer, and enjoy the view. But your body knew otherwise. You wanted to be useful to someone here at least.

You checked your watch and alas, still no messages. A sigh came out of your mouth. What day was it in your world? When will they update you?

Whatever. It's the Lantern Rite — this game's most important festival. Now that you're here, enjoy it.

You helped set the table and cooked in the kitchen. If you weren't a scientist, perhaps a chef. You got the recipes down quickly and had no fear of using the stove or knives.

Soon after, you made your way back to the balcony and tried your best to decorate. You had two Xiao lanterns ready to be lit later on.

The moon had risen further into the sky, the twinkling stars now more evident. You don't know how much time has passed since you started preparing, but it seems the fireworks show was soon.

"You look agitated. Got something on your mind?" Smiley Yanxiao suddenly said from behind and crossed his arms.

"Ah, nothing... Just, waiting for someone."

"You waiting for that little guy?" 

A small giggle slipped from you when you heard the word 'little' to describe the Adeptus. It was a fact, but to hear others say it was quite humorous.

"Yes, I am." You replied with a childish smile.

"Seems you've taken a real liking to him... Quite unexpected for a quiet guy like him to be buddies with someone as loud as you." The Chef joked as he stepped closer, his two hands occupied with plates. "Seems he doesn't mind, though. I notice you two here sometimes."

You paused.

"That guy's a loner but... Looks like he doesn't mind your company." He finished.

"You enjoy my company too, right?" You asked with a grin. Yanxiao scoffed lightly before agreeing nonchalantly.

"Sure, kid."

Strange. When you realized you entered Genshin Impact, you expected to only befriend playable characters. But, it was nice to meet and converse with the supposed NPCs too. They all had personalities and seemed like real people. It'll be so strange to go back to a world where you can barely even talk to them.

Then again, they're still just... characters. No matter how real here, they aren't in your universe.

"Well, I'm sure he'll be here any minute now. I just came to give you these knowing you won't be heading downstairs. Enjoy it with Xiao." Yanxiao spoke, breaking you out of your thoughts.