Preparations (Vol. 2)

It was about midday at Beacon Academy and the students were in combat class with Professor Goodwitch. RWBY was in class with JNPR and they were watching the current match which was Pyrrha versus team CRDL. Like 4 against 1. However, because it was Pyrrha, the rest of the students were watching as she was just mopping the floor with them. Y/N was watching intently at the match, taking note on the way they fought. 

"Those guys are fighting like a team." He said as he smiled at the way CRDL was operating against Pyrrha. As Russel and Dove both rushed Pyrrha and their weapons clashed with an almost rhythmic sort of sound during their combat, Y/N couldn't contain himself. 

"That's what I'm talking about!" He said as he watched this. However, Russel and Dove were soon defeated before Cardin was, with Pyrrha doing a backflip into Cardin's chin. As Cardin landed on the ground, Pyrrha did so as well, standing victorious. 

"And that's the match." Goodwitch said as she approached them. 

"Lucky shot." Cardin said before finally falling unconscious. 

"Well done Ms. Nikos. You should have no problem qualifying for the tournament." 

"Thank you professor." She responded. "Alright, now I know that's a tough act to follow, but we have time for 1 more sparring match. Any volunteers?" She said to the class. "Ms. Belladonna? You've been rather docile for the past few classes. Why don't you-" 

"I'll do it." A voice from behind them said. 

"Mercury, is it? Alright, let's find you an opponent." Goodwitch said as she looked around the rest of the class. 

"Actually, I want to fight...her." He said as he pointed to Pyrrha. 

"I'm afraid Ms. Nikos has just finished a match. I recommend that you choose another partner." 

"Actually Professor, I want to go." Y/N said as he raised his hand. "I've been in a bit of a slump, and I've been meaning to get out." He said. 

"Very well Mr. L/N. The next match will be Mercury versus Y/N." 

Y/N had gotten his weapon and the two were walking out to face each other on the floor. They kept their eyes fixated on one another, sizing each other up. The boys stood at similar heights, and since neither had seen the other fight before, they were thinking about what to expect. 

'Those boots look like they can fire something. Looks like he specializes in kicks.' Y/N thought to himself as they took their stances against one another. 

'Climbing axe. Don't know if he's got a gun in there or what his semblance is.' Mercury thought as they faced off. 

Mercury made the first move, coming in with a front kick which Y/N deflected with W/N. Mercury, having been knocked to the ground, did a windmill into 2 backhandsprings back to his feet. Y/N went in first this time, coming in with a kick which then went into a low slash aimed for Mercury's knee. Mercury, after blocking this simply raised his leg and Y/N only had enough time to react and dodge before Mercury brought his leg down with enough force to crack the ground underneath him. He then did 2 sweep kicks before a horse kick that caught Y/N's arms in an attempt to block, knocking him backward. Mercury held his leg in the air as he stood up, a display of his strength and flexibility, making Y/N nod in acknowledgment. Mercury rushed again after bringing his foot down with a double jump kick which Y/N blocked with his axe before going for a downward slash and then a side. Mercury however, blocked the side and then did 3 spinning kicks toward Y/N's weapon, knocking it to the ground. Y/N looked at his weapon, then Mercury, who smirked. He then did a spin kick aimed at Y/N's face, but Y/N put both of his hands toward Mercury's leg to block the strike and then pushed down really hard and did a jump kick to Mercury's chest. As Y/N landed and rolled to face him, he sent a scream Mercury's way, which made him slide back. Y/N, while Mercury was disoriented, took the opportunity to retrieve his weapon and rush Mercury again.