Prolog

There was the roar of that goddamn engine again.

Each morning so far, for the last three weeks, Elijah had to wake up to the sound of the baboon across the street, revving his car before speeding it down the road and waking everyone in a four mile radius.

Every single morning at half past five, he would start his shit. And Elijah was getting pissed off.

At first it was thrilling—a new family in Hawkins with an insanely attractive son and a tomboy sister that taught Elijah's brother how to skateboard. But of course, miracles are short sighted and short lived.

Because soon it turned out that the attractive son was actually quite rude—which took him from a ten to a solid two. He was disrespectful and had a distasteful personality.

Elijah tried to talk to him one day after school, seeing him work on his car she decided to make contact first. But it was unearthly trying to converse with him. If he wasn't curt with his answers, he was yelling at her to leave him in peace.

Elijah doesn't like being yelled at, and made herself a sole promise that she will not converse with him again, unless he apologizes.

And then the godawful screeching at half past five in the mornings started. And Elijah solemnly swore to never converse with him again, whether he apologized or not.

He was exhibiting spiteful and selfish behavior, and she was just not having it. A lot of families on the block had small children, the Wheelers have a toddler for christ's sake. He woke everyone, especially the children, at half past five.

Rude, sure, Elijah can work with that. But spiteful? No. Elijah doesn't negotiate with spiteful.

She gets even.