Chapter Eighteen: A Subject Of His Environment.

Billy's whole nature changes as he hears the voice from the other side of the door.

“Elijah, you're going to have to listen to me, and you're going to have to do as I tell you.” He whispers ever so faintly to her, Elijah nodding vigorously at his words. “I'm going to ask you to get in the closet. No matter what happens, what Neil says or does, you do not get out of the closet. Do you understand?”

“I understand.”

“Even if he gets physical with me, you cannot remove yourself from this closet. You can't say anything and you do not move. Promise me?” It's heart-wrenching to watch Billy beg her for her own safety. As much as Elijah hates Neil and would absolutely go berserk upon sight, she can't compromise Billy. Because once she leaves, Neil will hurt Billy even more.

And that's not something she's willing to risk, no matter how much she hates Neil.

“I promise.” She quickly gets in the closet, Billy closing the door behind her.

He longingly stares at the closet for the slightest second, sympathy and sorrow for what's about to unfold displayed in his eyes. He feels sorry for her, that she's about to witness the likes of Neil.

The moment the door is unlocks, Neil swings it open with such force that it rattles against the wall. Billy doesn't even flinch, so used to it by now that it doesn't even bother him anymore.

“William.” He addresses, Billy sneering at the man in front of him. “I heard there were some problems with your math teacher? Apparently you weren't in her class today. Or miss Sharon's, for that matter. Or Ms Brown's. Care to explain?” And oh no. The fight that's about to transpire is because of him skipping class with Elijah.

This cannot be good.

“There were no problems, Neil! Leave the boy alone.” Susan tries to counter from within the hallway, Neil completely brushing her off.

“No problems, huh? Then why'd I get a call, informing me that you were absent?” And then it clicked. That's how Steve knew about their day off, too. Because their guardians were informed.

“I was feeling sick. Came home.”

“Is that so? Because from what I heard, the Harrison girl was also not in class. You weren't skipping school with tramps, were you?”

“Harrington. And call her that again and I'll fuck you up.” He raises his voice at his father, Elijah instantly telling by the pitch of his voice that it was probably the worst thing he possibly could have done.

“The fuck did you just say?” Within an instant Billy is pushed up against the very closet door that Elijah's hiding behind. She covers her mouth as a yelp escapes her lips, the racket of the impact silencing her whimper. “If you ever fucking talk to me like that again, I'll destroy you.” She can see the anger in Neil's eyes, the same anger she saw once before in Billy's.

Neil is proof that Billy is a subject of his environment.

“Harrington dropped me off today, then she went to wherever. I didn't see her after she left.”

“Is that so?” Neil counters, pressing Billy up against the closet once again, the whole door rattling as his weight is being pushed against it. “I expected better of you Billy. I expect of you to stay in school, not have sluts driving you around when you're supposed to be learning—”

In an instant, Billy's head connects with Neil's nose. He stumbles backwards, holding his head and pinching the bridge of his nose.

“You're gonna wish you didn't do that.” Neil remarks, standing up straight, lunging for Billy. In a swift motion, a sharp and piercing sound echoes through the room, a horrifying punch straight to Billy's face. And then one again, and again, and again, until Billy sinks to the floor. Elijah's holding back tears as she watches the scene unfold, doing everything in her power to not burst through the door and give Neil a piece of her mind.