Chapter Two: Lost Cigarettes And Conversation Interferences.

It's half past five again.

Except, this is a peaceful morning, filled with laughter and hugs and kisses, but more importantly.

The morning is filled with silence. Sweet, glorious, Billy-free silence.

After her conversation with Max yesterday, she was feeling incredibly vengeful, for both facts that Billy left Max to get home by herself, and for the fact that Max thought Billy could ever scare Elijah.

So she snuck back, wrench and screw driver in hand, and disconnected the cable again. She didn't take it this time, but disconnected it well enough for Billy to stuggle again.

Which he did. He struggled for ten minutes trying to start the car, but it was no use. So he shouted some profanities into the air and retreated back into the house, allowing Elijah to sleep until half past six.

God, she wished every day could be like this.

It's still dark and silent when she saunters down, another reminder that Steve didn't return last night. She got a call from Nancy, informing her that he was spending the night and that there was extra cash in his drawer, incase she got hungry and wanted to buy another pizza.

So now she sits in the kitchen, dressed, currently drinking a coffee and waiting for her toast to pop.

Besides for the fact that Steve wasn't there to revel in the fact that they had a silent morning, it was a good morning. The first good one in weeks.

------------------
After breakfast
---

She watches as Max and Billy argue, wondering if she's the reason for the fight. So she drives over to their house, stopping in front of an agitated Billy who is working on his car.

"Hey Mad Max! Need a ride?"

"Please!" Max doesn't hesitate to jump in the car. She stops for a brief second, looking at her brother and his struggles. "His dad's going to be mad if he skips school... Would you mind giving him a lift as well? I know it's a lot to ask..." She speaks softly, knowing the strong love Elijah feels for him.

With a sigh, she answers. "Of course."

So she turns to Billy, who's forehead is glistening with water, who's eyes are bright blue and coated in frustration.

"Would you like a lift?" She asks him, Billy only rolling his eyes, ignoring her. "Last chance?"

"No, wait!" Max exclaims, looking at him. "You know what will happen if Neil finds out you skipped. Stop being a dick and get in the damn car!" She protests.

He leers through Max's window, staring at her with sullen eyes.

"How about you don't tell me what to do you little-"

"Get in the goddamn car, Billy. Literally no one thinks you're special because you've got anger issues and an attitude. Get in the car, or stay home wasting your time with your tragic car that doesn't want to start. Your choice." Elijah snaps, both Max and Billy taken aback at the sudden comment.

For the first time that Max has witnessed, Billy is silent and complying. He opens the door and gets in, without saying a single word, like a toddler who was scolded by their mother.

And so Elijah drives to school, with the company of Max keeping her entertained, and a moody misfit with curly hair, sulking in her back seat.