January 15, 1942

Bea Richards became B. Allan, her mother's maiden name, to the world. She would fly a plane into combat, no matter what it took. Whether she could pull it off for an indefinite amount of time remained to be seen.

So she had lied on her enlistment form. So had Steve. But she had gotten in whereas Steve, due to his poor health, had been rejected.

She rushed to the diner she was meeting her friends at, as both Bucky and Phillip had news.

Bea found her friends sitting at a booth and slid in next to Phillip. "What's so urgent?"

Phillip and Bucky exchanged a look before the latter said, "We've been drafted. Tried to get out of it, but they wouldn't relent."

Steve let out a sigh. "So what am I supposed to do? You two are going off to basic training, and Bea will be sent to wherever she's going. Am I just supposed to sit at home and collect scrap metal?"

Phillip nodded. "It's the safest thing for you, Steve."

"I don't want to be safe. I want to serve my country."

"You are by helping the war effort."

"That's a bunch of baloney. Whatever it takes, I'll be overseas, fighting for my country."

Bucky groaned. "Steve, they're not gonna take you. Your asthma alone will prevent that."

"I'll find a way."

Bea smiled lightly. "You have to admire his dedication and courage."

Phillip turned to her. "Aren't you one to talk, maverick. You lied to become a fighter pilot."

"And it worked."

"What if they find out who you really are? You could be dishonorably discharged."

"Then I'll just have to make sure they don't find out. And you boys better say nothing."

Bucky and Phillip exchanged a frustrated look and nodded slowly.

Bea smiled victoriously. "Good. I fly out soon, so do me a favor and take care of Steve until you leave. And Steve, take care of them."

The men nodded and Bea slid out from the booth. "I need to finish packing." She saluted and smiled. "See you soon, boys."

Bea left the diner and Phillip ran out after her.

He grabbed her arm and turned her to face him. He tucked her hair back and took her features in.

The two subconsciously moved closer to each other and Phillip pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

When he pulled away, he said softly, "I should've done that a long time ago."

"Why didn't you?"

"I wish I knew. Fear? Nerves? I'm not sure which. But I know now how I feel. I love you, Beatrice, and I need you to come back safe."

She took his hand. "I have every intention to. If I do come back between now and when you go off, I'll see you. If I'm sent straight into battle, I love you too."

The two shared another kiss before Bea walked away.

Phillip stared after her with a goofy smile as he watched her climb into a taxi she'd hailed and said softly, "See you soon, Bea."