6.

Caroline.

My Father shouted for me to hurry up as I sprinted down the stairs, I pulled on my shoes and speed walked to the car, it was hard to run in heels. "Caroline, wir schauen uns ein baseball speil ann, nicht eine Modeschau." (Caroline, we're watching a base ball game, not a fashion show.)

I made a face at him before gotteing in the car, I had no idea why I had to come along to watch Benny Rodriguez's stupid baseball game. I wasn't the one scouting him for the dodgers. I couldn't care less if he turned out a professinal player or the new owner of Mr Mertle's the junk yard.

Surprisingly we stopped in front of the junk yard instead of the sandlot and my father pushed open the gate and rang the door bell. Mr Mertle came out and hugged my father both of them had huge grins on their faces. "Caroline get out and come say hello." I pushed open the door and made sure to be extra polite to Mr Mertle I had never seen my father so happy to see anyone except for me.

"I have heard a lot about you, the last time I saw you you were a tiny baby." He said jokingly, I smiled back, "so you knew my mother then?" Mt Mertle nodded, "wonderful woman, always coming around for tea or calling me over to your house. Sometimes she would bring you along too."

I had a faint memory of being here, but after my mother had passed I couldn't remeber visiting at all. My father made an apoologetic face, "it's been too longt my freind." Mr Mertle nodded, "far too long." he agreed.

We walked down the short stretch of sidewalk and into the sandlot where the boys all stopped playing their mouths wide open. "Focus up blockheads!" Benny shouted embarrased. I sat down in the dingy little dung out next to my Father, lukily I had my date with Benedict to look forwards to, or this whole thing would be hell.

He said he's pick me up from here in around half an hour, my Father ws not happy about it but I'm sure he would come to like Benedict over time. I waited bored watching as the boys played what was probably the most professional game of their lives, my father looked impressed so obviously they were doing well. When the half an hour was finally up I could see Bendict stroll into the Sandlot.

He said hello to my father who answered with nothing but a curt nod before turning back to the game, Benny and Allan Mclennan were scowling over at me as if I had just brought a three headed monster onto their pitch but I ignored it and took benedicts hadn letting him lead me to his car which was parked outside of the Sandlot.

Benny.

I rolled my eyes in disbelief when Caroline left with Benedict, what the hell did she see in him? He was with out a doubt the most arrogant, self absorebed asshole in our entore school, and if I didn't hate Jordan Phillips more than life itself, Benedict would have taken that place. But I ignored it and kept playing, I had to be playing my best with Mr Baker watching me.

After the game was over Mr Baker came up to me, "you play well Benjamin, I'll talk to Buzzie about you but I think you'd be perfect for the team. Much better than the Phillips boy."

I snorted, "I should hope so he couldn't play to save his life." Then I froze, it proabably wasn't the best tactic to stay on Mr Baker's good side. but to my surprise he laughed too. "So, an please be honest, what's your opinion on the boy that just escorted my daughter out of here."

"You want an honest opinion?" I asked making a face. He nodded, I made a face, "I think he's an arrogant, stuck up, as with the biggest superiority complex I have ever seen and I think that Caroline shouldn't dumb herself down just so he can keep up with her."

Mr Baker made a satisfied face, "thank you. Well I'll be seeing you soon then I suppose."

"Thank you." I replied as my freinds came up to me about to pester me with questions.